Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a good offer for a 78 Bronco, but before I do a down payment and get it over to Germany I would need some idea of the real condition.

Is there any body that could have a look into a car very short term?
If needed I can cover cost....

Thanks
Simon

·
Super Moderator
23,344 Posts
Yo Simon,
Member dash_cam offers very good advice on having an independent inspection done at sellers location! If you cant inspect it yourself, seek out an ASE certified shop in area to inspect it for you. ASE is National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence, read about it @ https://www.ase.com/About-ASE.aspx.
Find an ASE shop @ https://www.ase.com/Landing-Pages/Car-Owners/Find-a-Repair-Shop/Shop-Locator.aspx
Google each for reviews especially in Yelp, Facebook, BBB.

Here are some specific 78/79 pre-purchase checks;
Check Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for Model Year & Engine Type using VIN Decoder for 73-79 Bronco & Ford Trucks @ Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Our Navy Federal Credit Union suggests using https://www.nadaguides.com for finding the "value" of a vehicle.

Order a CARFAX™. Although not all accident info May not be provided, other important info is provided @ https://www.carfax.com
However it missed a $5,000+ rear ender to our 96 in 2008 and cited 5.8 instead of our 5.0.

VINCheck® by National Insurance Crime Bureau is a free service provided to the public to assist in determining if a"... vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by cooperating NICB member insurance companies. To perform a search, a vehicle identification number (VIN) is required. A maximum of five searches can be conducted within a 24-hour period per IP address." @ https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

While you take a test drive, have someone stay behind or follow and check for leak puddles, exhaust smoke, tire shimmy, etc.

Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:
  • oil pan rust - our's formed spots @ 62k miles - sand it down and prime/paint it w/Rust Bullet Automotive) & high temp. paint - too time-consuming replacement for such a basic thing as not having better gauge steel and paint by Ford
  • try opening and closing tailgate and moving glass with both cab switch and tailgate key.
  • auto tranny, C6, look for leaks around pan from (front) Pump seal. Observe color and odor of the fluid. It should be red, not brown or black. Odor may indicate overheating condition, clutch disc or band failure. Use an absorbent white facial tissue and wipe the fluid level indicator. Examine the stain for evidence of solid particles and for engine coolant signs (gum or varnish on fluid level indicator).
If particles are present in the fluid or there is evidence of engine coolant or water, the transmission pan must be removed for further inspection.
  • engine rear main/timing chain cover seals, etc.
  • rust in inner rear fender lips, bottom of B pillars, sills, bottom of tailgate and floor pans.
  • A Bronco may need extensive $ patch or full panel replacements at a body shop, but some diy.
check tg drains for clogs/rust..check weather seals, esp the outer ws on glass
  • radius arm bushing deterioration (I coated em w/pure silicone, from day 1) but replaced at 80k miles w/Daystar polyurethane bushings
  • cracked exhaust manifold/Y, etc.
  • roof/gutter area cracks (mostly appl. to earlier years)
  • 78 is free of catalytic converter, but 79 has it.
  • radiator core supports, lower, it rusts mainly on passenger side, PIA to replace
  • body mount deterioration and frame rust
  • check transfer case operation
Cash is King.
As craigslist advises, "Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders; banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible. Sometimes a seller may "promise" to return a certain amount of money during negotiations..
Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).

A summary of questions to ask the seller;
"* Do you have all the maintenance records?
  • Do you have the title in hand and is there a lien on the Bronco?
  • How do I get the title?
  • Has the vehicle been in any accidents?
  • How much tread is left on the tires?
  • Are there any scratches or dents on the vehicle?
  • Did this car belong to a smoker?
  • Was this car used by pet owners?
  • Can I receive close-up pictures of a specific area (miesk5 note, such as on 1/4 panels, tailgate, etc)?
  • Are there any document or preparation fees?"
  • Courtesy of ebay
General Inspection Checklist by https://vincheck.info/check/inspection-checklist.php with some changes by me:
"Exterior
Windshield free of cracks
Body panel colors match
Magnet adheres to all steel body panels
Fresh paint job (if yes, it could be to conceal rust)
Seams where the tailgate and hood close are properly aligned
Seams where doors and fenders meet are properly aligned
Windshields wipers and blades fully functional
Headlights and directional lights intact and fully functional
Tires
Tires are all of the same size
Tires are of free of any cuts, bubbles or cracks
Tread worn evenly (uneven wear indicates alignment and suspension problems)
Spare tire, and jack and lug wrench are in place and fully functional
Spare tire inflated
Engine
Free of fluid or oil leaks
Oil filler neck not coated with thick, black deposits
Battery terminals free of corrosion
Oil dip stick free of dark, black oil
Free of odors while engine is running
Exhaust pipe smoke is neither blue (indicates engine burns oil) or black (indicate excessive oil consumption)
Suspension
Vehicle rests levelly
When bouncing the vehicle's corners, no creaking noises are made
All corners respond the same when bouncing
Interior
Seats unworn and free of cracks
Doors open and close freely
Tailgate opens and closes freely
Lacks a heavy scent of air freshener (may indicate something is being concealed)
All gauges work
No dashboard warning lights remain illuminated while driving
Stereo works
Heater works
Air conditioner works
Windshield wipers work
Windshield wiper fluid dispenses properly
All seats equipped with functional seat belts
All seats adjust properly
Power windows operate properly
Car alarm works (if applicable)
Trunk and driver-side door lock and unlock with key
Hazard lights function properly
Headlights, including brights, work properly
Frame
Chassis is neither bent nor cracked
No signs of crumpling or straightening inside the cargo area
Automatic Transmission
C6Transmission neither slips nor delays when driving
Manual or Standard Transmission
Each gear shifts smoothly
No grinding noises when in reverse
Brakes
Vehicle steers straight and does not pull to one side when applying brakes
Parking brake engages and disengages freely
No grinding noises when applying
Wheels do not lock when applying brakes
Steering
Vehicle does not drift to one side without prodding
Vehicle is stable; no shaking or vibrating
No resistance in the steering wheel when turning
No clicking or clunking when turning
Miscellaneous
Owner's Manual located in the glove compartment
Instructions included for any accessories"

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's condition, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

Forum FAQs @:https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/165569-common-replies-faqs.html ... includes for example:
How to Use Search @:https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/19-suggestions-feedback-site-help/62157-how-use-search-advanced.html
&
How to Post Pics @:https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/19-suggestions-feedback-site-help/6204-how-post-pictures.html
&
BABA-LOOEYS FAVORITE FSB LINKS @
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/131287-baba-looeys-favorite-fsb-links-lots-lots-tech-links.html
Includes Tailgate Tech, etc,

See our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests:
See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated! Purchasing the FSM upgrade does not wave the 60 day waiting period. Contests will be held in JANUARY, MARCH, MAY, JULY, and SEPTEMBER. Each month in-between will be used for nominating contestants to run in the following Month.
You will get ideas by those competing.
Then get ready for the Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.)!
See my signature.
Also see the prizes! They are freaking awesome!

Good Fortune Simon!

·
Addicted to Junk
10,402 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@miesk5 - WOW - you have it together man! thanks for this write up! Sure most I know in terms of inspecting a used vehicle. Specifics for the 78/79 Bronco does surely help!
Thanks as well to Bigblue and 78BroncoSteve.

I will get the company "SOS Inspections" ordered to do a pre-sale inspection today or tomorrow. Then I sould be good in terms of information about the car condition.

·
--------------
3,937 Posts
Ya' know, We ARE going to need Pictures, Lots of pictures for when you start your "Build Thread".
(And run for "Fullsize Of The Month / Year")

Oh, and how do you say "Rockin' Bronco" in German?

LoL, Good luck with your new Investment.

Later,
Dragon

·
Addicted to Junk
10,402 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
PSA: I checked this truck out (and PM'd the OP). Stay away from this place! They had a really awesome collection, but they charge full restoration prices on stuff that's just lipsticked. Most everything in there was cosmetically purty, but leaking something. Really nice and cool iron in there, but I wouldn't pay their prices.

·
Registered
858 Posts
So I must be missing a link or something about this Bronco. I hope it’s not that Worldwide Vintage Auto place. Been there a few times, let down each time by the condition of the vehicles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello guys
it is world wide vintage and after Broncosarge77 was there the SOS inspection happened, confirming his findings - amonst some new findings:
rear main oil leacking really bad,
lower doors inner side rusted - repair try happened - not professional
rear entry rusted,
exhaust perforated,
a lot PCV stuff missing
some strange self made wiring in engine bay
rear diff leaking
brake lines done
shocks partially bended and all are leaking
power steering leaking
valve covers leaking bad since long term (entire engine covered in oil)
tires done
lower radiator hose hardened - leaking
steering u shaft done
front sway bar link bushings rotten
carpets stink.....

and some minor things more.

This is too much for me as it will require a lot of work to start somehow driving it safely and pass any TÜV in Germany.

I will not buy that car.

There's another one in Iowa with a 460 motor in it - two tone blue/silver-white
looking really good, but lets see....

I need to find some company or whomever going to Council Bluffs having a look.

But I need to really to thank BRONCOSARGE for this engagement!!!
Great guy - I owe you at least one beer and I will be around Colorado next year late spring/summer - I will tell you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These 2 are now being evaluated:

even the 2nd is much more expensive, it looks much nicer in terms of paint and rust.

the first one needs new driver door and quite some work on the tailgate - can this be repaired with new metal insert or does it require a new tailgate door?

·
Registered
858 Posts
you sold a very nice car!!
For sure, I will be happy for any idea, recommendations and advice.
Thanks, I did.

I’ll message you with his contact information. His passion is German cars, but he knows his Broncos and vintage 4x4’s. He’s helped German buyers before and knows the ins and outs of the process.

As a fellow FSB’er I put my name and reputation on him all day long. Honest guy and great to do business with

·
Super Moderator
23,344 Posts
Thanks, I did.

I’ll message you with his contact information. His passion is German cars, but he knows his Broncos and vintage 4x4’s. He’s helped German buyers before and knows the ins and outs of the process.

As a fellow FSB’er I put my name and reputation on him all day long. Honest guy and great to do business with
Yo Steve,
Great!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great guys over here.
Have been into a lot of cars and their forums (911s, corvette, several Ford RS models, BMW‘s, etc) but never there were such a good support.
I even like the long term knowledge base, as read here and there already!

big thumbs up

·
Addicted to Junk
10,402 Posts
The farther north you get here in the states, the more likely it is to have rust issues. The great lakes areas are especially bad. The southwest is the best area for not finding rust as much of it is a desert of some form or another.

Glad you were able to avoid that first one. It had a bunch of issues.

We do have a couple other members here from Germany, but they dont post much.

The dark blue and white one is pretty solid, but will need replacement panels for those cancer spots. Ad seems honest, showing the rust. Floors look pretty good: my 78 has holes big enough for cats to jump through. To fix that rust properly might cost another $5000usd or more.

The bright blue and white one looks much nicer. But it also looks like an older restoration, judging from the floor mats. The top also seems like it's been off quite a bit since they have bed tie-downs on the outside. But it does have those awesome sliding rear windows!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey BigBlue,
you confirm my findings at most, I was unsure about the cost of the repair, basically it may include quite some paint.
There will be no problem to order those parts, but shipment for body panels to Europe or Germany will be quite expensive.
Best would be to have it in the car whilst shipping it over the ocean.

The bright blue is my current favourite car, as I really like to colors.
Not same seats front and rear, but I would give it to a saddler anyhow to bring it back to nice condition.
I learned that rear sliding windows are rare, but I think at LMC or something you can buy aftermarked ones, but I agree, to have this from factory would be nice.
And yes again, the tie downs may be screwed, and require a lot of work to close the holes after removing them.

I try to find some company which can do an inspection to this car shortly.

Further I am going to follow some other recommendation from 78BroncoSteve to get in touch which a shop in Denver he recommends a lot.

Maybe - even I don t find a car through them - the car can be taken to Elevation Motors to go through before export and tweak some things....

as before, If you hear or find some hint where a good car is up for sale, let me know.

Thanks !!!

·
--------------
3,937 Posts
If your open to a different model year.
This Member is a "Straight Shooter" and skilled wrench,
just initiate a Private Conversation with him for info.
(that is a link located in your avatar)

Later & Good Luck,
Dragon

1 - 20 of 38 Posts