Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka: bigford84
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced the rear end and everything to do with the rear end,even the rear antilock censor...... every so often the rear antilock light comes on and the brake pedal is harder to push down and its harder to stop. its not like that when the light is off. and it dosent happen all the time.brake fluid is full,brakes still have half or more life on them,and new censor...........any body have an idea whats wrong?????????? thanks guys.. 1989 fsb 351w 5.8

Attachments

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,186 Posts
87-92s have the Rear Antilock Braking System (RABS). When the light comes on it means there's a code that can be pulled to help diagnose the problem. To pull the code, you have to wait until the light comes on. Then you leave the engine running while you pull the brake codes & take note if it's only the yellow Antilock light or if the red Brake light is on too. For info on testing procedures, check out post 8 of this thread. It's not complete yet, but if it doesn't have the part that you need let me know & I'll add it.

The RABS valve separates the rear brakes from the master cylinder when it engages. Mine was not releasing & making the rear brakes drag whenever the light came on.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Have u tried pulling the fuse for the RABS and seeing if that makes a difference? Is the proportioning valve for your brakes leaking?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
The RABS valve separates the rear brakes from the master cylinder when it engages. Mine was not releasing & making the rear brakes drag whenever the light came on.
I had that same problem; after diagnosing it, i found the EHCU (electro-hydraulic control valve) was locking in the 'engaged' position. Pulling the ABS fuse didn't solve the problem, so I pulled the RABS computer, and the problem went away. I DO NOT EVER recommend anyone disabling a safety device on a car or truck; in my case, it had become a safety hazard, and I will eventually swap it for 4WAL ABS.

·
aka: bigford84
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had that same problem; after diagnosing it, i found the EHCU (electro-hydraulic control valve) was locking in the 'engaged' position. Pulling the ABS fuse didn't solve the problem, so I pulled the RABS computer, and the problem went away. I DO NOT EVER recommend anyone disabling a safety device on a car or truck; in my case, it had become a safety hazard, and I will eventually swap it for 4WAL ABS.
so i can swap out the rear antilock computer for an all wheel antilock computer???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts