Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have quite a few saws and I wanted a really big one for one reason. I want to do some pretty big logs with the chainsaw mill. I happened onto some 30-35" logs left after a logging project that were left as scrap. They have some small amount of heart rot and the few mills that can handle logs that size don't want stuff like this. I need some 12" wide 5/4 for my cabin and the rest will be siding for the new generator/wood shed. I am also going to mill the live edge fascia for when the new roof goes on in June. That will be done with cedar from the property. Then I still need some tamarack beams for the porch. I hope I can get all of this done in the next few weeks before the weather turns too warm. The reviews are pretty good for a cheap knock off and I didn't have an couple grands for a real one so I hope this one stands true to the reviews. Swamp

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,014 Posts
Saw that big he’ll need 4 hockey masks or a freakin Zamboni

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,825 Posts
So I have quite a few saws and I wanted a really big one for one reason. I want to do some pretty big logs with the chainsaw mill. I happened onto some 30-35" logs left after a logging project that were left as scrap. They have some small amount of heart rot and the few mills that can handle logs that size don't want stuff like this. I need some 12" wide 5/4 for my cabin and the rest will be siding for the new generator/wood shed. I am also going to mill the live edge fascia for when the new roof goes on in June. That will be done with cedar from the property. Then I still need some tamarack beams for the porch. I hope I can get all of this done in the next few weeks before the weather turns too warm. The reviews are pretty good for a cheap knock off and I didn't have an couple grands for a real one so I hope this one stands true to the reviews. Swamp
View attachment 155693
Holy cow @Swamp ... That thing looks taller then you 😮...
Love it 👍

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,469 Posts
Is that the Binford 8200?!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I laugh at the Binford 8200! This 4 1/2' bad boy is 92cc's of AHAHAHAHAH!!! No worrying about losing a finger, but a leg? Oh hell yeah! It's only a 36" bar. I almost went for the 48", but they get almost unmanageable when they get over 36. I definitely don't plan on humping this thing around the woods. We have some trees up at camp that may be more than the saw could handle, but I don't plan on cutting those. It will be mostly used for milling with a ripping chain, but I do have 2 regular chains for the just in case stuff. This was the cheaper and more portable option of a portable saw mill rig. I already have a small 24" chainsaw mill for my 60cc saw, but on big logs I have to do a lot of extra set and squaring and even with that a 30" log is on really just too big to work.
Swamp

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's quite a pair of beasts my friend. You are a man if you are humping them through the woods for a living or even for fun. 28" bar or 32"?

Swamp

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,469 Posts
I've just got a few Stihl saws, nothing too long, unless you count the pole saw! We ran a homelite for years.

We have this old McCullough at work, I assume its my uncle's. Some day I'll get around to getting it running. Old enough that the whole body is metal.

20200325_101059.jpg

Theres a part of me that still enjoys doing it the way it's been done for centuries... an Estwing and my workhorse, a Hudson Bay Velvicut from Council Tool.

20200325_104336.jpg

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,014 Posts
Any of you guys loggers?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only way to make money as a logger around here is if you own your own business and even then it can be dicey at best. The biggest logger around here will cut your throat long enough that you bleed out before you can get going.

Swamp

·
Addicted to Junk
11,469 Posts
Logging isnt a business in Kansas lol. Some oak and walnut gets cut here, for furniture and such. And osage orange for firewood. The big trees here are cottonwood, which suck for anything but making pallets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@BikerPepe` Who was the guy on here 10-12 years ago that had the appliance repair business and he used to send his saws off to be modified? Seems like he had a Bronco and a F150 that he would haul most of his wood in.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,419 Posts
@BikerPepe` Who was the guy on here 10-12 years ago that had the appliance repair business and he used to send his saws off to be modified? Seems like he had a Bronco and a F150 that he would haul most of his wood in.
Great guy. Sickening sheets.
Loved getting wood and just playing in the woods when he wasn't playing "Maytag" man.
@MikE2

·
Super Moderator
14,539 Posts
Wow..that's a lot of saw...I've got an MS361 with a big bore kit it from a 44 magnum, I run a 20 inch bar and that saw cuts everything I need it to..IMHO, unless you're a logger cutting huge wood I don't see the reason for anything much bigger.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My next size down saw is a MS361c with a 24" bar. That is my go to felling saw for all of the 20-30" oak that's dying here. Once it's down I switch to my My MS270C until I get back to bucking the trunk. It's nice having the right saw for the job. I've been heating with wood since I was little. Mom and Dad did it so I was cutting firewood by myself by the time I was 12. People would have a stroke today if they saw some little kid out working a saw. We have been in this house almost 30 years and have always heated with wood. At least about 90% of the heating season. Now I have the cabin that we heat with wood so I gotta keep on it.
Swamp

1 - 20 of 31 Posts