Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,467 Posts
I've been to Kansas. Blue ain't kidding. Cottonwood smells like cat pi$$ when it burns.
Swamp
If you can even get it to burn! But if you get a nice split, seasoned piece going, it burns hot.

The eastern quarter of Kansas is very different than the western parts. We have lots of grass and trees. And water. There are even a few private sawmills still operating, selling oak, walnut, hickory, hackberry, and the occasional cherry. On my 80 acres I have more trees than entire counties out in western Kansas. Counties rivaling the size of Rhode island.

Then we also have the beloved Osage Orange, also known as Hedge, Bois d'Arc, Bodark etc. Its the best firewood for heating homes and makes fence posts that last longer than a human. It doesnt rot. It's hard as a rock with coarse, gritty grain and thorns. Its absolute hell on saws.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,014 Posts
I've been to Kansas. Blue ain't kidding. Cottonwood smells like cat pi$$ when it burns.
Swamp
Hot damn I’ll have to have you guys ship me some so in the summer time when our campground gets full I can keep the idiots away by burning it! We live in a 40 ft super 5th wheel full time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This post prompted me to log in...Haha
Your saw is a beast!

I don't have these any more, sold a few years ago, but these saws were monsters:
chainsaws 003.JPG

chainsaws 001.JPG

Homelite C-51 and C-52:
The C-51 was my grandpas that he bought new in mid sixties.It is a direct drive and had several attachments that bolted up to it (ie:winch ,etc)
In this picture I have it set up with a harvester bar (Baileys had no idea on what else would fit it ) and a ripping chain along with an Alaskan sawmill.
The C-52 , pictured below it, I ran into while cruising through a second hand store for $50. I thought it was a good deal so I bought it.

They both have no muffler, just a stamped cover on the cylinder exhaust port.
They are both very heavy, especially the one with a harvester bar.
They are both high torque low rpm power heads.
They both kinda scared the heck out me.

My favorite saw is my Stihl 036 Pro w/ 30" bar. Smokes through piles of logs like nothing.

I have a favorite tree limber I hire to climb into the 150' tall Doug firs around my place to top or limb the trees around my house.
I have to leave when he fires up the saw way up there. I just can't stand the nervousness it creates in me when he is that high up with a running chainsaw dangling below his feet while the tree is wildly swinging around in an elliptical fashion.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I used to crawl up trees and do that kind of stuff, but not nearly that high. I only went up 40 or 50. I had a little Homelite XL with the top handle. I can't even remember how many cc's but probably 35 or so. After our last big storm I did quite a bit of log walkin' to prune up trunks before I took the leaners all of the way down. That kind of ground to a halt one day when the wife came out in the woods to check on me. I didn't notice her right away as I was standing on a 25" diameter oak that was tipped to about 45 degrees and I was up in the air about 20 feet or so. Have you ever had that feeling you were being watched! Ever since then I'm not really allowed in the woods alone unless I'm just going to buck up trees. If I'm dropping anything I am required to have an adult with me at least that's what my wife says. My Great Uncle was a Homelite dealer and I remember Grandpa having a big blue Homelite when we young and tagging along during popple cutting, but I was too young to use it.

Swamp

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,110 Posts
Do these count?

I’ve got a Husqvarna 440 with an 18” bar. Works great - nothing compared to this giant you guys are running!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
652 Posts
Some how I'm feeling inadequate...

Ha ha, this goes in the camping bag.

When I saw that picture, all I could think about was: "that's not a chainsaw, THIS is a chainsaw!" LOL

·
Registered
652 Posts
Keep a second lighter one in the Bronco with a blow-out kit...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Biggum, what is that head on the right? It looks familiar, but I haven't been to axes for a while. As much as I love a good axe I depend on my saws due to the volume of cutting I have to do in a short time.

Swamp

21 - 29 of 29 Posts