Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
pfun, once again we differ.... I needed a cheap throw away saw that I could throw in my cabin box with the tow straps, come along, clevises etc. I found a refurbed Craftsman 42 cc on line for $69 shipped. For the last 5 years I have pounded the living hell out of that saw. I've destroyed at least 6 chains on rocks and nails, I twisted the hell out of one bar, another bar I completely wore the tip out stump grubbin' tag alder and it still hasn't died. The one thing I have found is that when it's warm it doesn't like to be left baking in the sun. I'm guessing vapor lock, but it will give you fits if you don't move it to the shade to cool. It will absolutely not start if it's left in the sun. I figured for 20% of the cost of my little stihl if it lasted a couple of years I'd be money ahead. Guess I got lucky. I have another old Stih 038 that I picked up cheap and got running really well. Part of that deal was I had to take like 5 other saws 2 of which are Poulan Wildthings. Both of those run well and the rest I haven't messed with. For $75 buck I was happy. I'm going to give my kids the saws to carry when they come up to camp just in case they run into a tree over the road.

Swamp
Most of the saws I got were 35cc or under. Keep in mind that different brand names will have different manufacturers for the same item based on year or even the specific model. Very possible your saws aren't the same. Also possible I ended up with like 5-6 saws of the same design and 3-4 had blown engines by coincidence, though that hasn't happened with anything else.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,802 Posts
You guys would laugh at my old mac 320. We were selling them in the hardware store & I bought it in the 70s. We have burned a little wood for the enjoyment over the years, although around here it isn't quite the necessity. It's done a little tree trimming from time to time.

But I drive a skid steer at work & this is on my wishlist:

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,866 Posts
Holy super-splitter El Kabong-man! That little attachment is the bees knees. You could split a lumber yard in a week, if not a few long days.

I finally remembered to check my equipment in the barn. Stihl MS 311 w/a 24" & a Stihl MS 170 w/a 16"... maybe 18" bar. I had a newer, small Homelight for a few years but the quality wasn't nearly what I remembered, so it got swapped out for the 170. The carb was a never ending hassle.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,963 Posts
You guys would laugh at my old mac 320. We were selling them in the hardware store & I bought it in the 70s.
Oh you mean like this one?

20200325_101059.jpg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Those are some frickin' way cool saws. My Grandpa on my Ma's side always had a Homelite like yours biggum. It rode in the back of the farm truck ever since I could remember. We ran beefers on that farm so running the couple of miles of fence line looking breaks or trees down was a weekly chore. Sure brings back a lot of memories. Thanks!!
Swamp

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,963 Posts
Here’s one from my wife’s side

Runs great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's just a pinch older than the homelite we ran when I was a kid in the 90s. We ran a shindawa weed whacker too.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,568 Posts
I have a Jonsered with a 20" bar. I would like to get rid of it for a Stihl with a odd model number because those are commercial grade.
Will post a pic tomorrow.

I have a mculloch, probably late 90s early 2000s. It works but has never been a pleasure to use. If I actually used it with any frequency I would upgrade to an echo. The ones you really have to look out for are these.

They're sold under many different names but they're al the same. Utter garbage. They love to burn up engines. I flipped lawn equipment full time for 2 years and of all of these saws I got I think one was fixable and one was still running. The rest had fried engines. But even when they work they're miserable to use.

·
Registered
153 Posts
With Stihl you can tell the difference between professional and the homeowner grade saws by the color of the handle.
Black handle = lowest grade/occasional use saw - Orange handle = mid-grade saw - White handle = pro-grade saw

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey speeder, that's a lot of saw for a go to. What the heck kind of trees do you have? I have gotten lazy as I get older and I step down to my little stihl 270 for the limbing and such. Even 12"-14" oak and maple are treated to the 270. I won't go in the woods without at least 2 saws and a couple wedges shoved in my back pocket.

Swamp

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
This is my only saw of note. I pulled it out of my great grandmother's garage about 15 years after she died. No idea of the story as my grandmother had died by then. My mom doesn't know anything about it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm not sure about the saw. Looks to me like it was maybe used after the tree was already down to cut logs to length. I have also seen a saw with the narrow blade like that used for slabbing down logs. Two man saws like that are very common around here. All of the camps used them. The common ones around here have blades that about 2 to 2 1/2 times taller than yours dash and were used as felling mostly. I think my Dad has 2 or three up in the rafters. My Uncle was doing a job that required a couple of old rail cars to be buried and there were like a dozen old 2 man saws, but only a couple still had both handles. Way cool stuff.
Swamp

41 - 54 of 54 Posts