Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I need to add scallops to my privacy fence like so:

Any professionals or semi-professionals out there have any tips or tricks to get this done in a relatively efficient manner. I have cut a piece of plastic conduit down to fit in between the posts and can draw the scallop like that, but not every post is exactly 8 ft apart and that doesn't take into account the boards that are directly in front of the 4x4 posts.

I also have a number of top rails that are very close to the tops of the dog eared boards.....any tricks to scallop an area like that or do I have to suck it up and move the rail down a few inches?

Here is a pic of my fence where the top rail hinders a scallop:

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
yeah, your fence looks great, the scalloped fence looks kinda dumb.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Probably a HOA requirement.

Get a suitable length of 1/2" PCV and wedge it between the posts creating the desired radius. Draw a heavy line to mark the arc and cut with a saber saw. And yes, you'll have to move the top brace downward.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably a HOA requirement.

Get a suitable length of 1/2" PCV and wedge it between the posts creating the desired radius. Draw a heavy line to mark the arc and cut with a saber saw. And yes, you'll have to move the top brace downward.
Nail on the head...HOA bastards.

Trust me, I'm happy with the way it looks as well and put a lot of time and effort into putting it up that way in the first place.

I've tried a piece of conduit bent in between the posts and drawn a semi-circle, but it doesn't take into account the boards in front of the posts. I need this to look decent so I won't get more complaints on the damn thing. I've thought about cutting the shape into a piece of plywood and then tack it to the outside of the fence and then using my circular saw o cut the shape out.

Drawing the radius on the inside of the fence just doesn't seem like it will work efficiently and by doing it on the inside, I'd have to use a saber saw as my circular saw wouldn't get close to the posts or rails.

For the rails to close to the top, I think I'm going to pull the boards back from the top rail only, cut or hammer the 2x4 rail out and then nail another rail in 6-8 inches lower.

I'm still fighting this out with the HOA, but I'll probably lose. Want to go ahead and get my shit straight because once they've made a "final" decision, I've got 30 days to fix it.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Just 'adjust' the fence one 7.62x54r round at a time ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Personally, I'd tell the HOA board to eat a c**kmeat sandwich. But then again, I'm not the most "politically correct" person around....

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Move the top boards down.

Pick a point below the top edge that you will use as a reference point for every section that you will center your arc from. For example, use 60 inches from the top.

Now you said every section varies in width somewhat. Measure every section and find the halfway point of each. If one section is 94 inches, your halfway point is 47 inches.

For that section- you will have an arc center point of 60 inches down and 47 inches over from the center of an adjacent post. Either tack a nail at that center point to tie off one end of a string or have someone hold the string end in place. The other end of the string will start at the top of the center of the fence section and use a pencil to trace the arc as you move the strong from one end of the section to the other.

You will have to cut the posts shorter as well. Cut along the pencil line and you've got your arc done.

The higher up your arc's center point is, the sharper of a radius you'll have so you can choose what radius you want.

·
Retired
16,015 Posts
That is why I can't live in a neighborhood that has an HOA. We just wouldn't get along at all. You fence is very nice and shouldn't be any concern of theirs. IMO!

I hate someone to be able to tell me what I can and can't do with my property. If I wanted to paint it orange with pink poky dots that should be my business and not theirs.

Good luck man...:thumbup

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Honestly '79... if your neighbor painted their house lime green with some other furked color, you wouldn't think its an eyesore ? you wouldnt hate it ? We have a couple people in town here {snacixeM} who moved into a nice place and they are nice people too, but they painted their houses thuh WORST shade of mustard yellow on the planet... it looks terrible-

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just 'adjust' the fence one 7.62x54r round at a time ;)
Discharging my mosin would also be against regulations.:toothless

Personally, I'd tell the HOA board to eat a c**kmeat sandwich. But then again, I'm not the most "politically correct" person around....
I could do that and they could also pay a contractor to rip my fence down, put up a new one to code and send me the bill. If I refused to pay, they can put a lien against my house.

Its much easier to spend the weekend doing the work.

move or follow there rules simple as pie
How's your reading comprehension skills? Is the title of the thread how to **** over my HOA?

Move the top boards down.

Pick a point below the top edge that you will use as a reference point for every section that you will center your arc from. For example, use 60 inches from the top.

Now you said every section varies in width somewhat. Measure every section and find the halfway point of each. If one section is 94 inches, your halfway point is 47 inches.

For that section- you will have an arc center point of 60 inches down and 47 inches over from the center of an adjacent post. Either tack a nail at that center point to tie off one end of a string or have someone hold the string end in place. The other end of the string will start at the top of the center of the fence section and use a pencil to trace the arc as you move the strong from one end of the section to the other.

You will have to cut the posts shorter as well. Cut along the pencil line and you've got your arc done.

The higher up your arc's center point is, the sharper of a radius you'll have so you can choose what radius you want.
Now that makes sense, thanks. The post tops are also supposed to be exposed so they get to stay. I think I may get or make a cap for them.

That is why I can't live in a neighborhood that has an HOA. We just wouldn't get along at all. You fence is very nice and shouldn't be any concern of theirs. IMO!

I hate someone to be able to tell me what I can and can't do with my property. If I wanted to paint it orange with pink poky dots that should be my business and not theirs.

Good luck man...:thumbup
Thanks...this will be my first and last HOA experience. :thumbup

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't like HOA's either, especially when they bitch about dumb shit like this. I knew a lady who took off her window grids and got a complaint. Your fence looks fine as is.

OTOH, we have a neighbor with grass 2 feet tall. It looks completely ghetto, and I do wish they would cut it.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Another reason why I would never live in town. I did however just put up about 1600' of privacy fence around the back to keep the dog and the kids in.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Yeah, My township only allows a 6' fence and my neighbor pissed me off. Solution-----12ft. arborvitaes all across the back ---won't ever see him again and town can't say sh!t.....

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Yeah, My township only allows a 6' fence and my neighbor pissed me off. Solution-----12ft. arborvitaes all across the back ---won't ever see him again and town can't say sh!t.....

I don't understand, town only allows 6' foot, you have 12' and the town can't say shit??? Anyways love to see some pics.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
I don't understand, town only allows 6' foot, you have 12' and the town can't say shit??? Anyways love to see some pics.
6' fence. Trees are free to grow higher.

These are Arborvitae

1 - 20 of 23 Posts