Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems Eledbrock 3881 is in high demand or at least hard to find. I started looking at my options. It looks like the Trick Flow R series is similar in performance to the Edelbrock 3881. Anybody have opinions or experience with this intake? I'm looking for TQ early and often. I have read Seattle's build and am trying to use that as my guide although maybe not as many shiny things:)

·
Registered
95 5.8L XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Manual hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15's, 301K miles
735 Posts
The info below will vary accordingly on a 408 cid engine, the power curve will shift slightly to the left, theoretically speaking.

Trick Flow R series
Manifolds for 351 Windsor engines with a 75mm throttle body inlet produce power in the 1,500-5,500 RPM range, and 90mm throttle body applications produce power in the 2,000-7,000 RPM range.

Additional features include:

*Large cross-section with 13.300 in. runners
*Overall height to the upper manifold flange is 11.500 in.
*Overall height to the lower manifold flange is 5.375 in.
*2.000 in. x 1.200 in. port size at head
*2.380 in. x 1.380 in. port size at mating flange

The upper plenums and lower manifold are also available separately.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The info below will vary accordingly on a 408 cid engine, the power curve will shift slightly to the left, theoretically speaking.

Edelbrock Part # 3881 Performer 5.8L EFI intake manifold is designed for 1988-96 Ford 5.8L, EFI, truck engines, the modular design of this manifold incorporates the latest air flow technology for maximum torque gains in the mid-range. This manifold made 34 ft-lbs. more torque than stock on our test engine. Other features include: broad power range from idle to 5500 rpm; removable plenum cover that allows access to runners; base manifold is CNC port matched to upper manifold for maximum power; and accepts all stock hardware. The upper is powder-coated light titanium gray, base is satin. Use with stock or stock replacement twin throttle body. Will not fit vans.
  • Port exit dimensions: 1.04" x 1.85"
  • Overall height: 13.25"
From the above info it is sort of obvious which manifold has higher flow capabilities, but either one would work much better than the Stock manifold hands down. I would think the difference wouldn't be that noticeable unless you went with the 90mm Throttle body unit on the Trick Flow. Get which ever one you can get your hands on first, either way your a winner.

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
242 Posts
Off idle power makes no difference on an automatic where even a low stall torque converter lock up around 1500... That only matters if you like to lug a manual transmission. My LS3 is less bothered by being lugged than my 4.9 was, I think you can get away with a lot (as far as intake,exhaust,heads go) as long as you have the right cam.

·
Man of endless projects
9,045 Posts
i had the 75mm R on a 425ci windsor for a couple years with AFR185 heads and moderate cam. engine never really ran right. made mad off idle torque but had no top end at all. all the desktop dyno apps said i should be making a good bit of power but it almost felt like driving with a I6 300. 3 desktop dynos have been making around +450 HP @ 4500 and 570 ft/lb @ 4000. could never find the bottleneck tho i would defiantly not be surprized if it was the intake. could have been the itnake or something else. that engine blew on new years and im now in the process of gathering for a 408 build with AFR205 and custom cam from Ed at FTI.

i was actually planning a custom cam right before the engine was blown. when discussing the engine build, i asked about the different intakes for my build this were his reponse. granted this is with AFR205 heads and a higher rpm engine than most build for a truck. what exactly are your plans for the engine and build?

~~ Here's the deal... the long runner "R" upper is barely enough for a decent 302/306 build so a 425 will starve. You need shorter runners and more plenum to make this work. Too bad Edelbrock discontinued the Victor 5.8 intake, it was a good piece.
he later went on saying i would be better looking for a used Victor intake despite me being able to buy a Trickflow 90mm R or Box-R from him. he really likes those i guess. on the mustang forums i had a post going on about my engine build and the itnakes. Tmoss, a well known intake expert and porter said this. his previous post indicated the Box-R only flowed 13cfm more than the 90mm R.

There is no conflict. You asked what the intakes flow but flow is not the only way to evaluate an intake and Ed pointed out the other reasons for choosing the Box. Flow is measured in static flow conditions (that's why you never choose an intake based strictly on a flow number or a stated rpm band) - that is not how an engine uses the intake, so runner length, cross section and plenum volume must be considered as well. Ed is telling you which one will work best, doesn't mean the R won't work but the cam will have to be adjusted, possibly significantly, for the difference. The R long runner upper has a cross section pinch mid way through the upper that limits it's ability to flow on a bigger displacement engine.
really in the end it kinda dpeends on your build. do you have really high end heads? cheaper aluminum heads? stock heads? what are you doing about camshaft? i would really look at a custom grind since they dont cost much more than a off-the-shelf cam.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had the 75mm R on a 425ci windsor for a couple years with AFR185 heads and moderate cam. engine never really ran right. made mad off idle torque but had no top end at all. all the desktop dyno apps said i should be making a good bit of power but it almost felt like driving with a I6 300. 3 desktop dynos have been making around +450 HP @ 4500 and 570 ft/lb @ 4000. could never find the bottleneck tho i would defiantly not be surprized if it was the intake. could have been the itnake or something else. that engine blew on new years and im now in the process of gathering for a 408 build with AFR205 and custom cam from Ed at FTI.

i was actually planning a custom cam right before the engine was blown. when discussing the engine build, i asked about the different intakes for my build this were his reponse. granted this is with AFR205 heads and a higher rpm engine than most build for a truck. what exactly are your plans for the engine and build?

he later went on saying i would be better looking for a used Victor intake despite me being able to buy a Trickflow 90mm R or Box-R from him. he really likes those i guess. on the mustang forums i had a post going on about my engine build and the itnakes. Tmoss, a well known intake expert and porter said this. his previous post indicated the Box-R only flowed 13cfm more than the 90mm R.

really in the end it kinda dpeends on your build. do you have really high end heads? cheaper aluminum heads? stock heads? what are you doing about camshaft? i would really look at a custom grind since they dont cost much more than a off-the-shelf cam.
Thanks. When you said it kind of died, what rpm did you feel the TQ dropped off? I am not looking for a screamer. I just want nice low end grunt. I have AFR 185s. I have not selected a cam yet. I don't know how to choose one. I would like 400 ftps at 2k rpm. I am not really interested in operating over 5500 rpm.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody else want to chime in? I appreciate the responses.

·
Man of endless projects
9,045 Posts
felt like my engine lost alot of power over 2k rpm. really the only time it made power was right off idle. like i sad i never really found the issue. could be the wrong cam for job (comp 35-514-8), could be small intake, could be small heads, could just be bad compatibility. i was gonna change up the build when my engine decided one ofthe rods were unnecessary and released it.

i was running 42lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump, ProM MAF, Quarterhorse tuner, custom air intake, dual 2.5" exhaust, wideband o2. i would slowly upgrade one bottleneck to the next tyring to eliminate issues. fuel pressure was awlays steady so i never changed fuel rails. fuel trims always indicated one bank was running 15% different than the other some reason. wideband never showed anything crazy but that may be due to being tuned for the restriction. you will also need to do supporting mods jsut an FYI. what years your truck and what are you doing about supporting mods?

either way there is only 1 Trickflow lower 5.8 intake but like 5 uppers avalible (SteerBurnner, TrackBurnner, R-75mm, R-90mm, Box-R). so if you find the R 75mm is too small you can always buy a larger upper like the 90mm R upper. in my case, im going to try and go with the Box-R but i fear firewall interference. depending when you need it at some point might sell my black 75mm R upper.

i would highly recommend getting a custom grind camshaft. alot of the mustang guys use Ed with FTI for thiere cams. they dont cost much more but will maximize your engine for your individual build. jsut gotta know some specs about the engine. most off-the-shelf roller cams will cost around 300$ anyways, a custom cam will be like $375 or on special now for $350. also does flat tappet too.

you might have to do soem changed to run a mustang style intake. the upper can be pointed either driver or passenger side. on my truck i had it pointed driver side. i had to extend some wiring, make new intake tubing, make a throttle cable work, get a throttle body. can be frustrating but not impossible. my F250 has a GT40 intake that points passenger side so you can even have it pointed that way also if desired.

you can also look in the Corral mustang foums in the parts section. doesnt need a minimum post count and sometimes you can get some good used stuff for a decent price. i got my entire 351w R 75mm intake for like 300$ andi jsut had to helicoil a couple holes. they might also know more about the intakes and engines than people here. but dont expect them to understand a low rpm high torque build, there all about high rpm max hp builds. and they will argue with each other over builds.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. Right now I have AFR 185s. A roller engine that is about to be a 408, Bassani equal length headers and full 2 into 1 exhaust, Ron Francis mass air wiring harness, BBK fuel pump and rails. I plan on using Megasquirt ecu. I'm still trying to wrap my head around cams. I also have a 6R80 that allegedly the stock converter has a 2k stall. That's where I'm at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts