Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i finally was ready to duraback my truck, after masking, cleaning, etc i finally was ready to apply the durabak. To my horror, as i applied the durabak with a roller it came out all clumped out!.....man i only did about 1/2 of my hood, but it looks horrible, not even at all, clumpy in areas, ect. I had got some foam rollers, then as a last ditch effort i tried a regular furry paint roller, and got the same results. So tommorow i plan on getting the correct roller, and hopefully finish it. My only problem is WHAT kind of roller do i need? Has anyone applied the stuff? I used a brush on my rims, and it came out good, but it left lines, which i really dont want on the whole truck. Thanks guys

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Arent you supposed to spray it on? I guess a fine roller wouldnt leave as many clumps as a rough finish but I'm not sure

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
I think only Line-x has to be sprayed on?

Dustball did his whole Bronco in yellow durabak and I did my interior with Herculiner. It's not gonna be smooth, it's supposed to have a rough texture, but I don't know what you mean by 'clumpy'. Maybe it's old and is too thick?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, i just think i need the correct roller.....but where can i find it, and what do i need?
I totally realize its not gonna be smooth...i allready did my rims using a paintbrush, and they came out great, but now i want to use a large paint roller for the body.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
Try Home Depot or Lowe's in the house paint where they have the section to do the fru fru interior wall painting. It's a roller with like rubber loops like carpet pile...if that makes any sense. It comes in a kit when you get the Herculiner.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ohohoh.......I diden't realize it was THAT roller....i saw a hurculiner roller at autozone, i know exaclty what you mean! ok cool...thank you SOO much!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
check with castor troy....he did white durabak ghost flames...used a roller i think

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
Greenmustanggt said:
ohohoh.......I diden't realize it was THAT roller....i saw a hurculiner roller at autozone, i know exaclty what you mean! ok cool...thank you SOO much!
You're welcome. ;) I didn't know you could buy just the roller.

You WILL get the crap everywhere, in case you didn't figure that with doing teh hood...so wear old clothes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL....for the last week people keep asking why i dont wash my hands.....I have to keep explaining that it's durabak!!! You know i'll be using gloves, etc now!

·
Chicks dig my
1,423 Posts
hey, sounds cool and want to see pics of your end results. My 79 truck is getting the durabak treatment as soon as the weather warms up to the right temps. Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just finished using durabak on the interior and the roller sleeves they include with their product are a plastic almost packing material, very porous. Also the clumpy look to it will settle as the product sets up, I was a little worried when I started mine as well. The clumps by the way are rubber granules. Also make sure its mixed very well before you start applying. Also is this a new can your working with? The manual suggests complete use within a 3hr window. My canby the 4th hour was so thick that I dont think I could have applied it to look reasonable. I think the herculiner roller will work fine for you. Good luck with your project

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The durabak is going horrible, i went and got some of the rollers for hurculiner, and tried it, and it looks HORRIBLE, went on WAY too thick, if i pushed down, and wouldent come out of the roller if i dident. So, i was using a regular foam roller which would leave clumps of the stuff every so often. Next, i used a regular brush, and it left streaks, and was still uneven. I think i have to go buy a spray gun.

The hurculiner rollers are just like large velcro and really wont pickup and put down the durabak, it just stays in the roller. Alsom this stuff isnt thick at all, so i dont think its old.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think you need to dilute it a bit with toulene(don't quote me) It should say on the can or durabac's website. I read in 4wheel and offroad that they had the same problems because it sat to long.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
One other question, which I have not seen asked yet and could affect your results:

What is the proper tempeature that is needed to apply the product - both for application and curing?

If you are applying such a product and the air temps, or surface temperature of the item you are applying it to is too COLD, it will have an adverse affect on the product and the results you are expecting.

On most products as such, there should be a MINIMUM application temperature and also a minimum curing temp that is NEEDED in order to get optimum results from the product.

That *could* be an issue if you are attempting to apply the product and it's too cold outside (or even too warm).

Also, how old/new is the product? Did the product freeze at all and then thaw out? Where was it stored (uninsulated garage, indoors, basement, outdoor shed, etc.)? When the product was stored, what was/is the temp of the location where it is stored?

Temperature/humidty plays a BIG part when applying pastes, silicones, paints, fillers, primers, grease, epoxy and/or rubber/liner type of products.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the info guys. I bought 2 cans of the stuff from a friend for $100, and was told its under a year old. Im doing the process in a heated garage. What i just did, was use my primer spray gun to lay some of it down, however it comes out very nice from the gun, even if only a little of it comes out at a time... what is allready down makes the outcome look junky. Oh whell, im hoping that the 2nd coat with smooth things out a bit more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have pics of the wheels that would be awesome! It sounds like a great idea

·
Registered
976 Posts
Xylene is the correct agent to thin it but its sounding like your cans may have exceeded their shelf life wich is about 8 months iirc from their info, try thinning it out for the sprayer the company recommend a 1/4" tip as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts