Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at these 3 tires and my truck won't be daily but it will be driven quite often on the street.
I'm looking at 36" bias irok's
35/14.5 boggers
and 35/15.5 tsl/sx

How's the wear? Noise? Ride?

I don't mind loud or rough but I do mind them going down the drain in less than a year.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
How's the wear? Noise? Ride?
Bad, Bad, and bad.

Even the radials are hard to balance, bb's or what ever. They all wear quickly and are loud. I had 36" irok radials, 40" boggers, and 33" tsl's. All the same, though I like the bogger noise 150 miles a day and it gets annoying.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 33" TSL radials before and after 8k they didn't even look like they started to wear, but they are just too expensive.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Currently I'm running a set of 37x12.5x16.5 SSR's on one rig, 37x13x16.5 Boggers on another rig and soon to swap to 36x13.5x15 Iroks on the Bronco. I have routinely gotten 40-45,000 miles out of the SSR's after 4 sets. I'm now on my third set of Boggers, worst set got 23,000 miles and this last set is approaching 30,000. I also had one set 36x12.5x16.5 radial TSL's that lasted for about 35k. As for the Iroks...I'd expect tire life to be on par with the others. Aggressive bias ply tires seem to last me between 25-30k and agressive radials seem to last right around 40k for me. Regardless of which you go with, they'll be very noisey...but that's what loud exhausts and stereo systems are for...but even those are no match for the Boggers. Bias tires are gonna flat spot and will be like rolling on square tires during winter mornings, but I've never noticed that with any of the radials I've gotten from Interco. I've never had any issue with balancing either, but I go the dynamic route...and usually top out around 8oz of bb's per tire.

·
Heavy and slow fun
1,152 Posts
im running 38.5x14.50-15 TSL-SX on my pig and they are very loud.They are bias but it drives pretty good.Never are balanced very good and they do flat spot when cold.Not sure of the miles but i have wheeled the heck out of them.
I love them but im going to something more mellow soon......like iroks:haha

·
Registered
304 Posts
i have run 40'' boggers on a driver and other than being loud the only downside was a new set was turned into slicks after about 7k miles. i replaced the boggers with 38'' sx's, and they are the worst street tire i have ever had, horrible ride quality, but great offroad, and seemed to last pretty good. i've heard that iroks wear pretty quick as well. most bias mud tires won't last long on the street, but then there is the groundhawg. to me, groundhawgs are like the best all around tire for a big truck that sees street as much as mud and trails. they are slightly undersized, so a 38'' is more like a 36''

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Really? slightly undersized? shit.

Bet I got too much lift now.

Fark

Add to my bad day.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had the 35x15.5 TSL SX in high school, lasted all three year of daily driving and eventually sold them with about 40% tread. Yes they were loud, but not as loud a a mud grappler, the only real problem was getting flat spots if you let them sit for an extended period of time. Always wished I had a taller tire though.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well someone mentioned GroundHawgs so here's my .02cents. I had a set in a 38x15.5 and they got fantastic traction in all situations I put them through and were a good looking tire. They weren't a noisy tire either, my current BFG Mud Terrains are louder and they are only a 35. I could bust them loose easily in rain but I blame that on the Big Block 460 7.5L V8 :rockon. They weren't as good in mud as TSL's or Boggers but when compared to themselves alone they were great. I put about 15-25K miles on them before I sold the truck but they still had TON'S of tread. Oh mine were the radial GroundHawg II and I had them on a '85 F350 with a 460 that I drove HARD!

·
Registered
452 Posts
CYCLEGRIP- looks like we have the same tastes, these are all the same tires I'm looking at for th 87 f-150 i just bought, although i also have 38TSL on my list. but Ground Hawgs are VERY high on my list, they are just alot more exspensive, probably due to the fact that they last so long (even the bias). I'm looking at the 38's in those because i think the 35x14.50 only measures 34x13 or so.

Too bad one of swampers plants closed down or something, most LTB, TSL, and Ground Hawgs are on backorder so long that websites have takin them off and only list sizes that are produced at other plants.

If that problem is solved sometime soon, be sure to add the 35x12'50 LTB to your list, perform just as well as a bogger in the mud but with more lateral traction. If i run 35's i will probably go with a 35x16 bogger in back with 35x12.5 LTB in front

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I heard they were on back order until about September. I'll check them out if they do come out, thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
first off, sorry for this long reply

I compiled a list today at work of tires i would run, sizes, and prices. When comparing, I saw a few things that really made my decision for me. Here are my findings:

ALL PRICES ARE ROUNDED TO NEAREST 5 FOR THE MOST PART. ALL PRICES FROM 4WP

LTB- 35X12.50X17-$200
BOGGER- 35X14.50X15-$310
BOGGER- 35X16X15-$330
IROK- 36X13.50X15-$245
IROK- 37X14X15-$255
TSL- 38X12.50X15-$280
BOGGER- 38.5X15X15-$320

Comparing the prices in red for BOGGERS there's no way in hell I wouldn't go with the 38.5. Seeing this and making another list of totals for a set of 4 tires made me decide to run 38x12.5 TSL up front and run 38.5x15 BOGGERS in rear. Total cost for all 4 is roughly $1200. Just seems like it is pointless to spend about the same amount on a smaller tire.

The reason I don't want to run the Boggers on the front is because they just don't offer the lateral traction of a TSL, and because i will already be pushing the limits with a D44, and Boggers are alot more prone to breaking axle shafts and joints when they hook up. The difference in tire height it minimal so I don't forsee any issues.

If you want to stick in the 35inch range, if it were me, the only tires I would consider would be the LTB and 36x13.5 IROK, although I would also entertain the idea of running either 35x14.5 or 35x16 Bogger in the rear and 35x12.5 LTB in front. LTB is cheaper enough to make Boggers in back equal out to about the cost of the IROKs.

Oh, FWIW, 4WP has the 38.5 Bogger on sale right now for about $305, but I did not list the sale price above.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I will be either running Hawgs in 40's, or Swampers in 39.5... tradefor first, and $free.90free for second...with 39.5 Iroks for spares...

But if I was spending money..... Pit Bull. End of Discussion.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
the most streetable would be the SX. They wear better than the other 2, and they won't be quite as loud as the boggers. The IROKs are known to be soft tires, and the boggers your going to shit your pants in the rain and they prob won't last much more than 10-15k Miles at best. SX's wear nicely, a friend had a set on his XJ (a little bit lighter then our tanks but even so...) but the IROKs i would put as 2nd. boggers def not. And the SX's are disgusting off road. The wide side lugs will pull you through some shit, and they have very tough sidewalls.

My honest opinion, go with TSL Radials though. A buddy of mine in a k10 has em in 39", and he pulls through as much as (prob even more than) me and another friend running 40" hawgs. Plus he'll prob pull double the mileage from them as I do out of mine. The hawgs last forever, but suck in rain and supposedly in reverse. Never used them myself tho. The TSL-R's wear better than most extreme m/ts (not great, but better) and from what i understand the road noise is bearable. My next set of tires will be TSL-R's

Sure if your rock crawling... otherwise they're worthless.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I will be either running Hawgs in 40's, or Swampers in 39.5... tradefor first, and $free.90free for second...with 39.5 Iroks for spares...

There we go... That's what i'm talkin about. The rockers are probably the coolest looking tire i've ever seen. I'm probably goin w/ the rockers when I do my SAS, but i might go w/ their Mad Dog tires since my bronco is my DD too.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
There we go... That's what i'm talkin about. The rockers are probably the coolest looking tire i've ever seen. I'm probably goin w/ the rockers when I do my SAS, but i might go w/ their Mad Dog tires since my bronco is my DD too.
Its not the coolness of the tire that pushes you through the mud though :duh:beer

And the rockers sound like a jet airplane taking off... Seriously, I would keep the pitbulls for a rock crawler only...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Its not the coolness of the tire that pushes you through the mud though :duh:beer

And the rockers sound like a jet airplane taking off... Seriously, I would keep the pitbulls for a rock crawler only...
lol, ya coolness deffinitly doesnt take you anywhere... But that's why i'm prob gonna get the mad dog's, they're more of a m/t and the reviews i've read said the mad dogs are great on and off road.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Seriously, I would keep the pitbulls for a rock crawler only...
I wouldn't considered them just for rocks. I've used them in mud, sand, & snow and they offer good traction. These are a good all around tire and I've had Iroks, Boggers, & Hawgs before. My $0.02.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
would you take Rockers over SX's for mud, snow, sand, or street? Not saying they aren't a good tire, but why pick a rock tire, when there are so many better tire options out there? I mean sure give them a whirl, but myself, if I don't play on rocks, no reason to even go near the rockers. TSL (radials too), SX, Boggers, LTB, IROKs, Hercules trails, MTZ's, there are so many tires that do such a better job in every catagory. and for less of a price too! And the rockers howl on the street bad. only good thing is a lot of edges so wet traction is good.

·
Registered
380 Posts
would you take Rockers over SX's for mud, snow, sand, or street?
Yes I would. As to road manners I like the Iroc compared to the Pitbull Rocker. I used 35 SX's on a 93 Bronco ands 85 Toyota and found them a bit to hard and out of round on the highway and too stiff when off-roading even when aired down. We all have different experiences, vehicles, and driving habits so this is just my personal experience and own opinion. As BB33's noted the Ground Hawg II Radial was one of the best long lasting tires with friendly road manners I ever ran. Just wished they offerered it in a bigger size.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts