Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok everyone, i put a set of bilstein 5125 shocks on about 2 or 3 years ago and have about maybe 10-15k miles on them. They ride great. A day ago i heard a popping noise in the front while going over bumps in the road on my way to work in the morning. Later that evening on my way home it was gone. Same thing happened the next morning on my way to work. When i got to work i had a buddy push down on the front while i was under it and sure enough you could see the lower shock eyes moving relative to the bushing. So question is why did it do it in the morning but not noticeable in the evening? The only thing i can think of is that the temps in the morning have been in the low 20’s and almost 50 in the afternoon, could the temperature be to blame or the bushings were bad anyway and just exaggerated by the cold temps causing them to shrink? Ordered some replacement bilstein bushings from summit and got them in tonight, also replaced the upper bushings. Nice and tight, no movement in the bushings. Checked the back and they arent too bad, but the top bushings are dry rotted and the lower bushings are allowing the shock eye to move slightly. they will need replaced as well. Anyone else have issues with the bilstein bushings not lasting?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bushings are a normal wear item. Make sure you’re torquing them to spec with weight of vehicle on them, not up in the air.
torque to spec? Lol whats that. I know there is on but i compress the upper ones until the bushings are compressed a little beyond the washers. The bottoms i just tighten up pretty tight with a 3/8 drive ratchet

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,841 Posts
torque to spec? Lol whats that. I know there is on but i compress the upper ones until the bushings are compressed a little beyond the washers. The bottoms i just tighten up pretty tight with a 3/8 drive ratchet
The top stud is (25-35 Lb-Ft). The bottom mount bolt is (44-59 Lb-Ft).

Proper torque on the fasteners ensures you're not getting too much or too little movement in the bushings. Or just keep changing them out in regular intervals since bushings are wear and tear items. Lasting a duration of time and performing properly for that time are two totally different things.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The top stud is (25-35 Lb-Ft). The bottom mount bolt is (44-59 Lb-Ft).

Proper torque on the fasteners ensures you're not getting too much or too little movement in the bushings. Or just keep changing them out in regular intervals since bushings are wear and tear items. Lasting a duration of time and performing properly for that time are two totally different things.
i know i guess i just was surprised because they are bilstein lol, i guess thats why the replacement bushings are only $5 a piece

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
I replaced mine a couple times and when it was time to replace again I just got new shocks. Seemed a bit extreme to replace shock bushings 3 times in 6 years. But they were better shocks than the cheapies I replaced them with.
They didn't look too pretty after 6 Maine winters.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts