Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an aluminum welder fabricator, therefore I have access to all kinds of neat tools. Everything from welders, benders, saws, sanders and all the pipe from 2 inch on down. I just was thinking today it wouldnt be that hard to yank my stock y pipe and replicate it in aluminum. Thereby eliminating those 135k mile converters and that crimped up pipe. Not to mention the price is right. :D We use primarily 1/8 in wall tubing so I dont think strength would be an issue. Was just wondering if anyone had any insite that i've not considered.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
The difference in expansion/contraction rates with the connecting steel tubing. Also exhaust temps can get hot enough to weaken the aluminum.

·
Puts it were it doesnt go
640 Posts
aluminum weakens to the point where it can't support its own weight at about 800 F. its called "hot shortness." its also something an alumuminum welder should know:thumbup

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am a weldor, not a metallurgist. I also don't take temperature readings of my work. I am aware that like steel, aluminum weakens with temperature. However I was under the impression that my stock 302 when tuned properly and driven daily would not generate exhaust temps anywhere near the 800f mark. If I was racing ,heavily modified or even poorly tuned I could see some extreme temps, but I'm not.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thats a Mercedes V8. 8 coils, twin spark plugs/cylinder, A + B wires. Cats look to be regular production units (not amg). Single resonator looks to be CLS or CL or maybe even SL class.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I wouldn't do it on a daily driver, but yes aluminum has been used on exhuast systems. I was going to build one for my BMW. It wasn't a daily driver, and I was trying to reduce weight as much as possible.

I've seen 500hp turbocharged 4cyl cars with 4" aluminum exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts