Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I've been sitting around figuring out what I want to do with my Bronco, I thought about a trailer. I've been looking around for a regular standard trailer that I could use with my Ram and also my Bronco but then the idea of maybe finding a 92-96 or so F150/250 for real cheap and cutting the cab off and converting the bed into a trailer. Preferably a Long Bed truck. That way, I could have a trailer that used the same wheels as my Bronco and can be modified to match once I finish with the final product.

So, I've seen some in the past but they were far from being very good specimens. Usually around my area, they are stuff used by Junk Men to carry their stuff around and they look like they're about to fall apart about as bad as the trucks that are pulling them.

Has anyone had one of these?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i've used one. a junk guy built it i think. was left on the family property for a wile. i moved feed with it when there was a bunch of crap in the truck. the thing was HEAVY. and it didn't have brakes. if i remember right it looked like the guy cut the frame after the front cab mounts. then bent it in at the front of the bed. welded a hitch where it came together.

i've always wanted one of these . there are a lot of fun things you could do if you use it as a home base trailer for wheelin. keep a spare ring and pinion in the chunk. keep both factory fuel tanks in it and keep a transfer pump in the bed. get a surge brake setup to use the factory brakes. run the same wheels and tires as your trail truck and don't carry another big spare on the trail. under the bed would be a great place to keep all those heavy axle shaft and drive shaft spares. put the same rear end in the trailer so the shafts are your spares.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda what I was thinking of while I've been working on ideas for converting the Bronco into a sort of Expeditionary vehicle. If I had a Long Bed, I would have a topper for it. I would work to carry the gear, including the Tanks for spare fuel, I would basically have a full, complete rear end at my disposal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
my dad has built a few, just sold one for him last week. cheap and easy

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I had one I basically gave away and other then it being an eyesore and an embarassment to tow it was great. I could put anything and everything in it and not give a **** about what happened to it. Bang it around, push fences over with it, let the scrap yard magnet slam in to it....just beat the shit out of it and not have to worry about damaging my truck.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty much the condition I've seen most of them in. Well used and heavily abused.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Ive thought about building one, a long bed white trailer would look so great behind my 250. My tent for the bed of my truck would be nice for that too, when I camp we have to remove the tent to go do anything, even go down the road to the store or go exploring trails, etc.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a friend with an early 90's Chevy 1500..very nice condition and modded up pretty good. He went out and found a bed off a matching truck...cleaned and painted it up and matched up the wheels...great looking trailer and good at shows and stuff...not sure how practical it is (his has a bed cover on it...) ...but it looks great.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's my thinking for the idea of a bed/trailer also. I want to clean up and mod the Bronco into a vehicle I could use to go anywhere but also I want it to be nice enough I could take it to local shows and car events. With a matching F150 Long bed trailer w/ topper on it, I think would just be perfect. And I would be pround enough to carry it behind my new Ram also and dare anyone to say something.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
We have one, 1957-63 F 100 bed, 8 ft bed, 6' tongue, little freaky to tow, as with 1000# in the bed, I can still manuever it by the tongue ( I swing a Hitachi buffer all day, thats it, FAR FROM Charles Atlas I am.... it is impressive that I can swing this tongue, can't bench/deadlift my own weight, 175 or so)...

Going to lift, put matching tirs on to the Cent, and always have spares that way... Throw a topper on, on adjustable slides, so it s a "pop up" should be alright.

painted to match the Cent, of course.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds pretty cool. Do you have any pictures of it you could post?

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
You should build one out of a Bronco back half then you would have a place to store your top or a place to sleep and keep stuff dry to

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Naw, the Bronco Back half conversion would just be too small to use for anything other than light carry. I've seen Jeep half trailers like that and they are ok for general purpose carry but if you really needed to haul something, you're out of luck. I figure a 92-96 model F150 or maybe even a 250(though wheels probably wouldn't match, would be the perfect thing to use since the rear end, lights, etc, would match up. The diff under it would be the same, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Naw, the Bronco Back half conversion would just be too small to use for anything other than light carry. I've seen Jeep half trailers like that and they are ok for general purpose carry but if you really needed to haul something, you're out of luck. I figure a 92-96 model F150 or maybe even a 250(though wheels probably wouldn't match, would be the perfect thing to use since the rear end, lights, etc, would match up. The diff under it would be the same, etc.
f250 and up are one ton runnig gears and have more lugs and all so stick with the f150 parts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, yes, I know that. I only was including the 250's in the bunch because of the possibility of doing a 1ton swap. I know in a few of my threads when asking for advice and such, I get the 1ton answer a lot. I'm not fully sold on the idea since I'm not that hard core but the thought does interest me as something to do many years down the line. I know that for me, if I needed to do any kind of real hard off road work, I'd turn to my 08 Ram with the HD 2500 chassis under it. The Solid Front axle is one of the many reasons I ordered it before they stopped making the (1500) Megacab. I love my solid axle but I also love the softer ride of my TTB in the Bronco.

·
Mud God - R.I.P.
5,788 Posts
Off topic but I have been seeing these things all over lately for 600-800

·
Registered
429 Posts
Funny, I just talked to a guy about this today. He owns a junkyard and makes them all the time. He gave me a price of $450 to build one for me, said there would likely be rust on the bed.

My idea is to paint it to match the Bronco, same wheels, etc, and then use it to haul and camp with.

For camping, you could remove the gas tank and install a water tank, the options are endless.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No, I don't have pics, lately I have been using one side for spray outs before I paint.

So half the truck is 50 year old turquoise, the other have is currently 1976 Ford Hatteras Green, with an Eddie Bauer type bottom stripe of 2000 Stupidroo Titanium pearl (bottom color on an outback). And they literally were spray outs, there is paint over dirt, birdshi-ite, etc. When I shoot the Centurion, I am going to shoot it, and then when I get the tires I am trading for, and stuff the Iroks on it, I will take a picture.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Funny, I just talked to a guy about this today. He owns a junkyard and makes them all the time. He gave me a price of $450 to build one for me, said there would likely be rust on the bed.

My idea is to paint it to match the Bronco, same wheels, etc, and then use it to haul and camp with.

For camping, you could remove the gas tank and install a water tank, the options are endless.

I would leave the original gas tank in there to keep filled and use for long out in nowhere use(I've also used it for camp fuel when I forgot the Coleman stuff) and I'd install 1 or maybe even 2 plastic auxiliary tanks for water. I can't say I've ever really studied the underside of the ford truck bed area but I've wondered about those relatively cheap Diesel tanks they sale. I've seen some that were built to go over the axle and run the side of the bed. I wouldn't be all that concerned about any safety issues since if it gets hit from the side and bursts a tank, all that would spill out would be water. With a setup like that, I could be pretty self sufficient for about a month or so if I ever just wanted to get away for awhile.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts