Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start - I am NOT looking to hack/mod my 360.

I have a 360 that has a disc tray error and I've decided to try to fix it.

I know what is involved. Buying a new drive, flashing it with the old drive's keys/firmware, and popping it in.

Problem is I don't know HOW to do that.

I have a BENQ VAD6038 drive and I have read a few tutorials but most of them either expect you to know what they mean when they say technical things or they use specialized hardware that I don't want to buy.

Anyone have any experience replacing drives?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually talking about the DVD ROM drive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ah I've done that too, it's a little harder. You will void any warranty when you open it, and you'll have to connect it to your PC in order to load firmware on it, which also means opening your pc. And you'll have to solder some wires onto the new drive. I can walk you through it though when your ready

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The case is already open and I don't have an issue opening my PC's case. I have not seen a tutorial that requires soldering, are you suggesting moving the PCB from the dead drive to the new drive?

The only info I can find is for flashing drives to play burned discs, not actually taking my firmware I have now and putting it on another drive.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Guess i got lucky when i replaced my DVD drive i just pulled the old one out and put the new (ebay) one in and everything has been working fine for about 6 months now

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
look into replacing just the board in the dvd player. you tube it. all you do is cut some wires and resolder them. you can also try the pot adjustment.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got it working by doing a bunch of youtube tricks (taking the drive apart, cleaning it, moving the laser to the middle of the rails, slamming the tray in as fast as I could, knocking on top of the 360, etc) but I want a more permanent fix.

I found a guy who's willing to flash a BENQ drive with my Liteon firmware/keys but he's charging $65 ($20 for the drive and $45 for the service) so I really don't know if I want to spend that much on it. I was thinking of swapping out the PCB into another drive but I'm not quite sure my PCB isn't to blame for the misreadings anyway.

I guess I'll just ebay a drive, swap the PCB and hope for the best :shrug

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
If you can adjust the current drive's laser's potentiometer, I'd give that a shot, since it should be fairly easy and free. I've been keeping my Dreamcasts working for years after most people would just throw them away. Every 6 months to a year it has to be done, depending on use... I don't own a 360, so I don't know if it's more complicated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts