Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take off from a stop and turn left, I get a slight ratcheting sound and a small vibration. Only while turning left and only from a stop. It feels and sounds like its coming from the rear, but I'm getting old so it's possible it's coming from the front. 4wd works with no problems and everything seems to be working alright.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not the tires, I can turn full lock and the tires won't rub. Also, it doesn't matter how sharp I turn, it still makes the noise. I don't have a locker, but it sounds metallic. Almost like when automatic hubs don't fully lock.
I read one of these threads and someone mentioned something about a spindle, or spindle nut being loose. But they never said anything more or elaborated on it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
if it's your spindle nut you better get in there ASAP, check your bearings, and tighten everything down. Your calipers may be holding them in if the nut is loose. Have you jacked up the front end and checked for any slop??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is kind of doing the same thing though it knocks from a stop regardless of the orientation of the wheels. I replaced te tie rod end last night. I thought that would have fixed it. This morning started going down the road around 40 mph and the entire truck started shaking from the front passenger side along with some knocking. When i drive around 30 mph it's smooth as silk. Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have posi diffs, you ight try changing the fluid and adding some posi additive to them. Sometime when the fluid gets old and worn out the posi plates will bind in turns and cause this type of problem.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
is it the brake sensor on the pads movin around. i think its a wheel bearing that has gone south or needs tighten up.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if it's your spindle nut you better get in there ASAP, check your bearings, and tighten everything down. Your calipers may be holding them in if the nut is loose. Have you jacked up the front end and checked for any slop??
Ya, everything under the front is tight no slop. I'm thinking that may be what it is, but why would it vibrate only when turning from a stop and not all the time (oh ya, it is doing it when I turn right now as well.) I did notice that my drive line angle is off by 6 degrees, but I'm not sure that would cause it only while I'm turning.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is kind of doing the same thing though it knocks from a stop regardless of the orientation of the wheels. I replaced te tie rod end last night. I thought that would have fixed it. This morning started going down the road around 40 mph and the entire truck started shaking from the front passenger side along with some knocking. When i drive around 30 mph it's smooth as silk. Any ideas?
Sounds like you might have a bad radius arm bushing, axle pivot bushing or ball joint. If you search death wobble, you can find some really good threads.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have posi diffs, you ight try changing the fluid and adding some posi additive to them. Sometime when the fluid gets old and worn out the posi plates will bind in turns and cause this type of problem.
No posi or lockers. I wish...

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is it the brake sensor on the pads movin around. i think its a wheel bearing that has gone south or needs tighten up.
The wheel bearings are new, but the ABS sensor is a really good possibility. I've been in and out of those hubs about 5 times in the last 3 months replacing ball joints, bearings and trying to get the alignment right. The last time i was in there I striped part of the bolt that holds the abs sensor in place. I was able to catch a couple threads and throw some locktight on there, but it might have worked itself loose. I'll have to check it out. Thanks, I totally forgot about it. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if its loose. The z is in the shop, so I have no place to work on the Bronco at night. its too FN cold and gets dark too early now.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I crawled under it this morning to check the ABS sensors and they are tight as can be. Jacked the front end up and I have no movement or sound from either side. I've been driving around in circles in this parking lot for the last hour, and its not vibrating or making the noise. WTF...
Could something in the rearend be going out that would do something like this?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I finally got it to do it again. I seem to have to be going up hill and turning to get it to do it now. Its definitely coming from the rear. Drive line or diff???

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
yank the dif cover. post pics.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you sure you dont have a posi, maybe its just really worn, but working enough to chatter. worth a closer look
I'm pretty sure... I had the cover off about 6 months ago, and it looks like the standard 8.8 ring & pinion to me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts