Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 and my AC clutch is noisy often, anyone know how it comes off, do I need a puller, or does that bolt come off the center then it (clutch) just comes right off. Its winter and im not using my AC which works, but just the clutch is making a tick tick, squeal tick sort noise when my truck is cold. Im thinking maybe I can remove it and attempt to lube it or soak it in some type of oil and pray it stops, as Compressors are sorta salty in price. It would sure be nice to be able to run my engine with no extra stuff, AC, Alternator, power steering pump, as when I diagnose this stuff, I quickly once remove the belt and start the truck for about ten seconds, to make sure its not my new engine making these noises, its smooth on its own, so far I've replaced all the other belt driven stuff except the AC. I guess this is to be expected in a 140,000 mile vehicle, even with a new engine.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
No I haven't but considering the name "Clutch" usually means it needs friction to work, exactly like a manual transsmission clutch. I wouldn't even think of puting oil near any kind of clutch. I think if you unplug the wiring piece that plugs into the compressor itll make it stop engading(sp). Dont quote me though. (My tbirds locked up and my father unpluged the compressor wires and it ran fine)

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I have an 89 and my AC clutch is noisy often, anyone know how it comes off, do I need a puller, or does that bolt come off the center then it (clutch) just comes right off. Its winter and im not using my AC which works, but just the clutch is making a tick tick, squeal tick sort noise when my truck is cold. Im thinking maybe I can remove it and attempt to lube it or soak it in some type of oil and pray it stops, as Compressors are sorta salty in price. It would sure be nice to be able to run my engine with no extra stuff, AC, Alternator, power steering pump, as when I diagnose this stuff, I quickly once remove the belt and start the truck for about ten seconds, to make sure its not my new engine making these noises, its smooth on its own, so far I've replaced all the other belt driven stuff except the AC. I guess this is to be expected in a 140,000 mile vehicle, even with a new engine.

Actually, in order for the defrost to work properly, when you switch to that, the AC compressor is turned on to pull the moisture out of the heat that is sent to the cab. pop your hood, turn on motor, and then switch the internal control to defrost and see what happens. When I had AC, the clutch would engage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts