Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had it sitting around for about two years now, a friend of mine gave it to
me for my 5.0. Looked it up just now and saw they are going for about $60.
Is it even worth installing and if so, does it just plug into the distributor some
how?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:histerica No, don't even bother.

What lol, cant hurt right? Then again my engine runs perfectly. Maybe I
should mess with it.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Can you possibly pry off the cover I've highlighted, and take a picture of the part's insides?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
wait. how much does that sell for new?

That transistor is probably being used as an amplifier, if there is nothing wrong with your truck, don't waste the time, it won't do anything to make it better. Even if there is something wrong with your truck, that thing, with maybe $6 worth of parts in it and someone who should be ashamed of how they solder, won't fix it.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
CooooooL!!!! Thanks for the pic, man! :clap

Wow, that's an old-style TFI. Looks like someone wasn't too creative with the datasheet example (my poke at its designers). :rofl:

I cannot find that IC number anywhere, either, and by the looks of it, a knock-off. Most chipmakers will emblazon their part number onto/into the IC with at least their logo, if not the company name. I wouldn't rely on it for anything, especially since you're running just fine now. Until I see a datasheet that tells me otherwise, it's a regular run-of-the-mill TFI ignition module.

If you really want to know what a TFI module is at its core, here it is: a transistorized switch. That's it. Its sole responsibility is to turn coil current on and off and the right moments in time. It cannot increase power, it cannot get you better fuel economy, and it doesnt have any sort of warranty so I'm pretty darn sure it cannot be more reliable than the factory TFI.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, thanks. Guess It'll sit back in the drawer it came from :toothless

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
If you really want to know what a TFI module is at its core, here it is: a transistorized switch. That's it. Its sole responsibility is to turn coil current on and off and the right moments in time. It cannot increase power, it cannot get you better fuel economy, and it doesnt have any sort of warranty so I'm pretty darn sure it cannot be more reliable than the factory TFI.
what the hell am i thinking of that they sold, that was expensive that they claimed once inline, it amplified the signal strength to your coil and then made more claims that it would double the efficiency of your vehicle.

I can't find it in a google search, but i used to watch the infomercial all the time and it had some cheezy name.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im still tempted to try this thing and replace the stock coil with something
better.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
better.
At the very least, keep it in the glove box as a backup. That way the one you have on the bronco happens to go out, at least you have one to replace it with. IIRC, they cost about 35 bucks at the local AP store. ;)

KC

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
better.
You're tempted by marketing, nothing more. The factory system is more than good enough, even for a heavily modified engine. Keep it in top shape, and it will not let you down. Save your time and money for modifications that will actually make a tangible difference, like synthetic lubricants, higher-flowing cylinder heads, etc.

I think you other guys are probably thinking of capacitive discharge systems. All they do is store a charge at a higher voltage, utilizing a charge pump circuit. When the coil is supposed to fire, the higher voltage is switched over to it, but it's so brief that it collapses virtually the same time the coil was supposed to fire. The voltage to the coil primary circuit is somewhere in the 400-600V range, but like I said, it's very brief. This makes the potential much higher in the secondary circuit, but the fact is that a) no one here will likely need such higher voltages, b) the plugs will fire on the lowest possible voltage required (see paragraph below), and c) there IS a retarding effect in the ignition timing as engine speed increases, so you could see a decrease in fuel economy. I have personally observed the latter.

Another thing to remember about autotransformers (ignition coils) in an ignition circuit: secondary voltage will ONLY reach the point where gap ionization occurs. If it takes only 15kV to fire each spark plug, guess what? That's all the coil will 'make' for the circuit, i.e. firing voltage. When you see a coil's voltage rating, that's the PEAK voltage possible, NOT what it's inducing all of the time. The remainder of the energy is dissipated either in the firing line (you'd see it on an oscilloscope, but this is where the plug is actually firing) or as heat.

what the hell am i thinking of that they sold, that was expensive that they claimed once inline, it amplified the signal strength to your coil and then made more claims that it would double the efficiency of your vehicle.
Oh man... Now we know why they're not around anymore. :rofl: No doubt the FTC got their ass!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're tempted by marketing, nothing more. The factory system is more than good enough, even for a heavily modified engine. Keep it in top shape, and it will not let you down. Save your time and money for modifications that will actually make a tangible difference, like synthetic lubricants, higher-flowing cylinder heads, etc.

I think you other guys are probably thinking of capacitive discharge systems. All they do is store a charge at a higher voltage, utilizing a charge pump circuit. When the coil is supposed to fire, the higher voltage is switched over to it, but it's so brief that it collapses virtually the same time the coil was supposed to fire. The voltage to the coil primary circuit is somewhere in the 400-600V range, but like I said, it's very brief. This makes the potential much higher in the secondary circuit, but the fact is that a) no one here will likely need such higher voltages, b) the plugs will fire on the lowest possible voltage required (see paragraph below), and c) there IS a retarding effect in the ignition timing as engine speed increases, so you could see a decrease in fuel economy. I have personally observed the latter.

Another thing to remember about autotransformers (ignition coils) in an ignition circuit: secondary voltage will ONLY reach the point where gap ionization occurs. If it takes only 15kV to fire each spark plug, guess what? That's all the coil will 'make' for the circuit, i.e. firing voltage. When you see a coil's voltage rating, that's the PEAK voltage possible, NOT what it's inducing all of the time. The remainder of the energy is dissipated either in the firing line (you'd see it on an oscilloscope, but this is where the plug is actually firing) or as heat.

Oh man... Now we know why they're not around anymore. :rofl: No doubt the FTC got their ass!
Well yea but......this one has a sticker on it that says DYNA MOD :clap

·
Registered
586 Posts
up until about 2 or 3 years ago there were hundres of these little gadgets promising more power and better fuel economy..... you wonder why they don't exist anymore? you know what happened two or three years ago? The government stepped in and started testing porducts and filing law suit after law suit....they put all those Phony companies out of business.....those phony companies had to refund millions and what not....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.