Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey there guys!

I'm a delicate flower and can't handle another rearend accident with no head/neck protection so I've been thinking about a solution to getting a highback seat setup that still allows access to the rear seat. I have been looking at it and notice that if I had tracks that moved the seat forward when needed, I could probably get the seat forward enough so that just a minor amount of seatback angle would give even better access than the current lowback sweep gives. An added benefit solution to this would be no accidental windscreen break on that first highback trebuchet release when bolting to the current bracket.

Thoughts, memories or ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
578 Posts
It would be a lot of effort, but maybe modify the bracket so the seat turns 90* to the side and folds up towards the driver's seat? That would give the most space. I know some vans had rotating seat mounts, maybe you could scavange some parts from one of those and combine them with something.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,059 Posts
I had the lowback buckets in my 85, which has the same buckets as a 78/79. I took the highly bolstered, black leather seats, with 4way adjustable headrests out of my totalled 03 mach 1. I removed the low back 85 seats from their bases. Drilled 2 holes and enlarged 2 holes in each mustang seat base, then tapped them to 5/16-18. I used some grade 8 bolts in the old 85 seat tracks and mounted the mustang seats to them. They function just like the 85 seats, but wont break your neck! I did have to use a spacer to get the seat bottom in a good position.

The only caveat is that for the passenger side with the flip forward base, i have to "recline" the seatback forwards before doing the flip forward latch. Otherwise it hits the roof before fully flipped forward. Even without the shelf-it installed. Like this...

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,059 Posts
It would be a lot of effort, but maybe modify the bracket so the seat turns 90* to the side and folds up towards the driver's seat? That would give the most space. I know some vans had rotating seat mounts, maybe you could scavange some parts from one of those and combine them with something.
I put one in my van. Its about 10 inches tall. I dont think it would work well.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the lowback buckets in my 85, which has the same buckets as a 78/79. I took the highly bolstered, black leather seats, with 4way adjustable headrests out of my totalled 03 mach 1. I removed the low back 85 seats from their bases. Drilled 2 holes and enlarged 2 holes in each mustang seat base, then tapped them to 5/16-18. I used some grade 8 bolts in the old 85 seat tracks and mounted the mustang seats to them. They function just like the 85 seats, but wont break your neck! I did have to use a spacer to get the seat bottom in a good position.
I'd love a setup like that. Seeing it in action makes me feel better. I feel like I could fit almost any sports-y highback I find if I followed your method.

The only caveat is that for the passenger side with the flip forward base, i have to "recline" the seatback forwards before doing the flip forward latch. Otherwise it hits the roof before fully flipped forward. Even without the shelf-it installed. Like this...
I suspected this would be the case. I've seen people either hit their roof or take out their windshield with not reclining the highback seat first.

·
18,059 Posts
I'd love a setup like that. Seeing it in action makes me feel better. I feel like I could fit almost any sports-y highback I find if I followed your method.

I suspected this would be the case. I've seen people either hit their roof or take out their windshield with not reclining the highback seat first.
I suspect any mustang or explorer seat would make a good fit. I removed every bit of track and base, as well as the electric motor for the power seat function before bolting them to the 85 bases. Driver side still retains the sliding function.

The newer high back seats are heavier than the old low backs so the flip forward doesnt move with the speed it did. I think any high back will have the same issue.

Im very happy with the mustang seats... Just wish id done it before i drove it 900 miles to Moab and 900 back in 2019. That was a looong drive in those seats... With no AC, no CC, and no overdrive :LOL:

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
578 Posts
I have a '79 with the stock highbacks and will confirm that the flip forward is slow with a fullsize seat. I think it just pops up and I help it the rest of the way with my hand.

If you are tall, something with an adjustable headrest might be preferable. The stock ones are still mostly below my head, but I am 6'3" with a long torso.

The stock ones should fold automatically when flipped. The one in my Bronco doesn't have it but one of my parts seats has a cable that connects to the flip mechanism and pulls the fold lever on the seat as it's flipped

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,258 Posts
Only adding that the 78/79 seat brackets are stout enough that you can weld to them no problem. I say that to say that you can likely make any newer seat fit with minimal work.
The brackets looks to be near the same in @BigBlue 94 pics too, at least the 2 bucket brackets.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
I have a '79 with the stock highbacks and will confirm that the flip forward is slow with a fullsize seat. I think it just pops up and I help it the rest of the way with my hand.

If you are tall, something with an adjustable headrest might be preferable. The stock ones are still mostly below my head, but I am 6'3" with a long torso.

The stock ones should fold automatically when flipped. The one in my Bronco doesn't have it but one of my parts seats has a cable that connects to the flip mechanism and pulls the fold lever on the seat as it's flipped
Wait, the stock 79 captains chairs are supposed to recline forward, on pass side, when flipped up??? (kind of sorry for hijack :))

·
18,059 Posts
Wait, the stock 79 captains chairs are supposed to recline forward, on pass side, when flipped up??? (kind of sorry for hijack :))
Yep, i believe so

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,734 Posts
Mustang seats in my 84 although the headrest was hitting the window and actually dislodged it so I put a chain on the inboard side to stop it from hitting the glass.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
578 Posts
Here's the pic of the cable. I don't have one with a cable installed in my actual bronco so I can't get the complete picture.

How it works is pulling this cable pulls the lever on the side of the seat allowing it to recline forward. The free end of the cable mounts to the seat bracket do that as it flips up it pulls the cable and for the seat.

·
18,059 Posts
Here's the pic of the cable. I don't have one with a cable installed in my actual bronco so I can't get the complete picture.

How it works is pulling this cable pulls the lever on the side of the seat allowing it to recline forward. The free end of the cable mounts to the seat bracket do that as it flips up it pulls the cable and for the seat.
Even the later broncos had this type of function. Its common for it to break. On the mustang seats i used, they have a lever on the rear of the seat back that releases the recline pawl, and unlocks the slider. So they used to flip and slide forward with one lever.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
578 Posts
I was at the JY today and found the most complete passenger bracket I've ever seen. It had the unbroken release handle, the cable attached that let the seat recline forward while tilting and had two pieces of a limiting cable that would stop it from slamming into the windsheild. Let's see if I got ok pictures of it all. I can't see the detail on my phone well in the bright sun.

Ugh, I cut off the unbroken lever, but you can see it and the plastic knob at the top edge of the picture. Then the cable attachment and routing.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

Here on the center side of the seat you can see the limit cable to stop the seat from tilting too far forward.
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Thanks!!! Not sure any of my broncos ever had that cable. Can you steal it from newer FSB's?
Guess it doesn't matter much, I rarely use back seat anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts