Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I wanted to know if i can take this tach apart, and was wondering if it has a light.
I just took it off my truck to spruce it up a bit with paint.
The only wires that were connected was the black to a ground, and the green to somewhere under the hood thru the firewall. The two white wires are connected together...
It works in the truck, but there is no light at night, and i was wondering does it have one, and just not connected?

·
Super Moderator
25,795 Posts
yo,
I could only find one similar to your Tach by AM;
http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1142.pdf

White = 12v Dash Lighting

Red = 12v Switched Power (should be fused to prevent ,,, disaster

Black = Ground

Green = distributor negative (-)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if i touch the black wire to the neg terminal on the battery and the white on the positive, and no light comes on, is it safe to assume the light is blown or doesnt work?

·
Super Moderator
25,795 Posts
yo James, Correct
I couldn't find your tach model in AM's site or in a few WWW searches.. but a similar AM Mini Monster Tach w/the range and face numbering configuration showed up & that is the model I picked for the Link and wiring info

On some AM Tachs, they do show a plug in da back to remove an incadescent bulb, &/or are lit by "around the dial" lighting

Go here and fill the info out for info;
Service and Repair
http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_askaquestion.aspx

GL

and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They emailed me back,

Hello.

I am sorry, the bulb in that tachometer is not accessible without disassembly of the tachometer. For this particular model, you will have to send the unit into us for bulb replacement. As long as there is nothing else wrong with the tachometer, you would be looking at no more than $25.00, + the return shipping back to you.

You may use the attached form for sending that into us. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you.
Cory
Tech/Service
Of course the one I have cant be changed without spending some money, always my luck.

Thanks again man.

·
Super Moderator
25,795 Posts
yw James,Hey! That's the story of my life too, "can't open it up without ______" (fill in da blank)

I was wondering tho.... take a look @ AM's site and see if they have any internal pics of the bulbs or that other thing they describe as "around the dial" lighting

Here is one Bulb; As an example; don't know if this is correct for that tach..ok?
Auto Meter 3219 Bulb and Twist in Socket Auto Meter Bulb and Twist-In Socket assemblies and individual replacement bulbs are designed for 1 mini, 2 1/16 and 2 5/8 gauges. They can also be used in some speedometers and tachometers.

See AM's Lighting site

From the LS Forum; "... remove rear cup by placing the tachometer face down on. A phillips screw retains the cup so remove that screw located on the back. Gently lift the cup off.."
Is there a screw under the AutoMeter Label in back?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts