Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about applying for a curio and relic license, does anyone here have one?

Ive looked through the process, seems pretty easy and i do have a thing for old guns that arnt too expensive. Can anyone throw some comments on the appication or buying process. Not so much the procedure, as ive got that down, just your experiences with the process.

thanks all.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I got mine a couple of months ago. The process is easy, I mailed my application with a check to the ATF and the other copy to my local sheriff's office. Got my license about 6 weeks later.

I've been able to get some really good deals buying online and some offer better prices to those with a C&R. Just mail a signed copy to all places you want to do business with and you are good to go.

Be sure to not sign the original you get in the mail, go make a bunch of copies of the original to sign/mail to dealers.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool.

I just saw that for CA, the item MUST be OLDER then 50 years old, and pistols have to go through an FFL. Still worth it to you?

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
It is worth it to me, I'm interested in the SKS and WWI and WWII revolvers and semi-auto pistols. Here is SC, I can buy a number of pistols with my C&R. When you get your license, about a week or two later you get a list of C&R weapons, in fact I just got mine the other day.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dang, how much total did the process cost, i saw 40 bucks floating around the internet.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
I've been debating getting mine for years (haven't gotten around to it), and still want too some day.
You'll be suprised at the cool shit you can get that's older than 50 years...

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
I got mine nearing a year ago now. Got a couple rifles at a gun show with it. Like said, mail the application and a check to the ATF and one to your local sheriff and 6ish weeks later you will get one in the mail if all is good.

There are exceptions to the 50 year rule. Special commerative ones can be had. There are all different rules. Check out www.surplusrifle.com for more info. or go to the ATF's website.

But yeah, I got a Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 built in 1943 and a Turkish Mauser built in 1942.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Worst addiction I have had f/last 20 years. Work on other stuff and then come back to this over and over.
You get deep enough in and you learn quite alot of history and how
different govts all make the same mistakes re/miltary.
Stoner/M16 fiasco in the US is a repeat of Commission 88 rifle in 1890.
C&R is $30 and pays f/itself first time BBT comes to your house.
Buy a good safe and start surfing gunbroker.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts