Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, Auto 4x4, Mile Marker, 4in lift with 35's
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a few body shops today to get quotes for rear wheel arch replacement panels and inner rear wheel housings and the last one I went to was a Mom and Pop type operation and the old man who owns and does most of the work gave me a quote that was really fair. He said he could do the work for $800 but told me he didn't need the inner housings he would just weld two bars from the frame to the quarter panel and I would have no more rust problems! He said he has done the Bronco's since 1980 and that is how he does it. Never hear of this and I will not use him. Anyone ever hear of this done before?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Went to a few body shops today to get quotes for rear wheel arch replacement panels and inner rear wheel housings and the last one I went to was a Mom and Pop type operation and the old man who owns and does most of the work gave me a quote that was really fair. He said he could do the work for $800 but told me he didn't need the inner housings he would just weld two bars from the frame to the quarter panel and I would have no more rust problems! He said he has done the Bronco's since 1980 and that is how he does it. Never hear of this and I will not use him. Anyone ever hear of this done before?
It’s actually quite common way to make the repair in such a way to keep the wheel wells from rusting out. It was actually the first repair technique that was taught to me by an old timer back in the early 90’s.

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
555 Posts
I think I understand for the most part, but surely you wouldn't weld the supports for the quarter to the frame. It sounds kinda like how they mount the bedsides on the newer trucks.

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
555 Posts
I will take a picture of the inside of the bedside on the work truck when I get a chance, I know it's bedsides are mounted in this way.

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
520 Posts
Ive seen it but with about 1 inch flat metal in two places at the ten and two position. They ran from the fender lip to the tub in the same area the inner fender attached.

Reactions: miesk5

·
FSM Lifetime
693 Posts
That's what I did on my Bronco. Without the inner fender you can clean in there a lot better. The biggest downside in my opinion is that you end up with more road noise inside the cab.

·
Registered
I build beautiful things. And they pay me for it
123 Posts
I purchased outer wheel houses and besides from lmc truck. And a tailgate. Parts alone was close to $2000. I did all the labor myself ju

Attachments

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,324 Posts
@Hillbillyrob76 - dude, you need to stop plastering your body work pics all over the site in unrelated threads. Just make your own thread to show off your work man.

Reactions: txyaloo

·
Registered
3 Posts
That would tear the body from the frame flex versus the rubber chassis mounts- guaranteed to permanently disable another Bronco from body seam splits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts