Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since i work 40 hours a week and im making great money and im also pursuing my 4 year degree so im thinking Highway patrol auxiliary anyone done this or have any info i have my interview Mon.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
...so i'm thinking Highway Patrol auxiliary...
I need a litre of cola. ;)

But anyway, the local RCMP out here have an auxilliary and some of my young employees who are looking to become PO's have signed up in the past for the experience. They all enjoyed it, and for them it was a great way to gain some life experience and earn some internal references.

They help primarily with special events and PR stuff, not the RCMP HWP division, but all in all I think it is certainly a positive way to volunteer.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I used to be... YEARS ago... most of the agencies have a minimum number of hours they expect a month, likely 16 or so, just so you keep active.

Let us know how it turns out for ya!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I am currently training to be one. I was "hired" by a local police department and have lots of training to go before I become a sworn officer, but I have been loving every bit of it. I say hired but it is a volunteer position requiring 16 hours a month minimum to maintain it. I work 40 hours+++ at my regular job also, but this is a great way to give back to the community. I had to go through the exact same hiring process/standards as a full time candidate would have to and I will be doing the same job. The only difference is that I will have a partner (FTO) longer than some one straight out of a full time academy. The one thing I really like about this department is that they want the reserve officers doing the same thing as the full-timers, so they know they can be certain of the skill levels of the individual officers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am getting ready to start the police academy at the end of April. Most agencies here in IN want a minimum of 28hrs. a month. As far as the interview goes, if it is a panel of officers remember to look them in the eye starting with the one that asked the question, if it is one officer and a video recorder ignore the recorder and look at the officer. Most agencies will give you a sheet with the questions on it so you can read along as they ask. Also pay attention to the people asking questions they will give you suttle ques(sp?) if you are on the right path, or if you are wandering off topic. And don't worry about repeating yourself they usually grade each question independantly. I was telling them each time about how I worked in a grocery store and how that experience helped me.

Sorry so long. Hope it all goes well for you.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah here in FL the auxiliary Troopers have full arrest powers and also carry a gun as well, and after a few months can go on patrol Alone and give citations and arrests as well. I have always since a little kid wanted a career in LE so i think this is a good way to be a cop a few times a month and still work full time and be a college student as well im only 21 so im trying to get a jump start im also a private pilot so maybe that can help me as well with flying for the highway patrol later on. ill update as things go on good luck to you thurston and others.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Same when I was in, primarily operate as second man, operating under the directives of the fully certified officer. We too carried sidearm and had arrest powers, our uniforms were the same with the exception of an "A" prefix on the badge indicating "Auxillary" (Sp?), and the word "Auxillary" on the upper part of the sholder patch, you even had to look close because the patches appeared to be the same. Just prior, Aux officers wore a grey shirt. We didnt go to academy back then, but since they got accredited (Sp?) about a year or two after I left, Aux officers were required to go to academy.

HTH,
Andrew

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Oh and DO NOT FORGET THIS......be honest, be brutally honest. One whiff of even a minor white-lie or what might be considered as a lie and you'll be finished. In Law Enforcement if you lie, your done for good and it will follow you as every department will want to know if you have applied at other agencies and they will check to see if you have or haven't. Be honest with them and yourself, about everything. Even an omission can get you dropped quick. I have heard people say things like " well I didn't think that would count", or "Oh that little thing", or "that happened years ago". And then they find out, they do. They count, and be honest about it. Most places are not looking for a perfect person but they are looking for an honest one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts