Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone know what a engine on one of these POS would run?

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
Not sure, but can ask a guy at work. He has one and complains it is always leaking a fluid of some sort....Never has to worry about rust as it is always covered in oil or grease.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What they would run or when/if they would run?

My buddy has his LR and at 60K blew a head gasket... upper end needed a rebuild and it still doesn't run right.

-rockstate

·
'05 Excursion Limited
1,662 Posts
Not sure, but can ask a guy at work. He has one and complains it is always leaking a fluid of some sort....Never has to worry about rust as it is always covered in oil or grease.
That and the body is aluminum.:thumbup

I was looking at one and based on the advice I got here passed for now. The ones within my budget didn't allow for much maintenance money.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
They are a nightmare, but what year are you looking at? I've seen 3.9L and 4.2L V8's in them.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
3.9, 4.0, 4.1, and maybe 4.2's

Best price I found for a good used engine, with warranty from a reputable source was $2,500+shipping.

Best price IMO would be have it rebuilt locally.

There is a place in Australia that has several options for swapping a domestic V8 in. Both GM and Ford. Using the Land Rover transmission, or domestic transmission and L/R case. Either way you want to keep the land rover case. Despite being a fulltime case it's pretty strong, geared very low, and there is a rear offset.

Land Rover's are "do-able". It just can NOT be a driver as you need the time to really shop around for parts to find the best deal. Parts are god awful expensive so you have to shop around for each part.
FWIW I found Stranoparts.com to have some good prices on front end parts....That was the only thing I replaced on the one we had.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I worked at the local Rover dealer in 99, and there wasn't a tech there that would own a used one.. there thought was if you can't afford to buy it new, don't buy it..

I would buy a County, and do a one ton swap, and then run a diesel in it for sure though!

Kid I know here bought a 4.6 HSE, dropped it on a Ramcharger body, hate the body lift, but other than that, its cool and looks pretty close to right.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
i would own one of these if they werent so expensive, idk why i just think they are cool looking lol

YES!
If they only still imported them to the US.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts