Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd throw this out here.... Aside from my badass bronco and badass mustang, I also own a '99 suburban:brownbag (the wife's dd)

'99 Chevy Suburban, 350, auto, yada yada. 104k miles, 5k on GM fuelpump/sender asm.

It ran fine Friday. Wouldn't start Saturday, It would crank and crank and it acted like the A/F ratio was way off, or the distributor was 180 out if that makes sense to any one.

I got to looking at it saturday and the air intake bonnet had become separated from the TB, letting a bunch of unmetered air in. I reconnected everything and It started right up and ran fine all day.

This morning, the wife went to drive it to work and got about 5 miles before it started acting up, She told me that "it sounded like it (the engine) was about to come apart" I traded her cars and drove it home... The only thing it did to me was at about 60mph, when i'd get on the gas, it almost sounded like it was pinging... but more of a popcorn popping sound.

No cel on and it drives fine in the city...

I'm thinking fuel pressure... gonna check it here in a little while. has anyone run into this before?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Check the MAF sensor.....whatever GM calls it. I cleaned one on a 98 5.7 and the problem went away.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Had the power window problem yet ?:popc1:

Sixlitre

·
Be jealous of my
923 Posts
LOL I'm just gunna say it- there's one solution, take the gas cap and radiator cap to a Ford dealer, find one they both fit, buy it, and call a salvage yard to take the rest.

Nah, take it to Autozone or Advance, have them test it to pull up that CEL, more than likely it'll solve the tranny issue too

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL I'm just gunna say it- there's one solution, take the gas cap and radiator cap to a Ford dealer, find one they both fit, buy it, and call a salvage yard to take the rest.

Nah, take it to Autozone or Advance, have them test it to pull up that CEL, more than likely it'll solve the tranny issue too
yeah, I'll just let the wife drive the mustang to work tomorrow and drive the shittylay to my work and fix it where I have the proper tools and equipment... damn.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixlitre View Post
Had the power window problem yet ?

Sixlitre
:histerica and the door lock actuator one too:toothless
Them problems iz so prevalent they've been featured on national television several times up here.

Oh, well it's better than driving an import I guess :shrug and the price was right, right ?

Sixlitre

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted by Sixlitre View Post
Had the power window problem yet ?

Sixlitre

Them problems iz so prevalent they've been featured on national television several times up here.

Oh, well it's better than driving an import I guess :shrug and the price was right, right ?

Sixlitre
yes sir, the price was right.:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Spend it on an Excursion. Makes a Suburban piss itself.
If you believe the GM advertising their subs (of those years) are supposed to be the most fuel efficient of the competitors.

Wonder if that's true:scratchhe

Sixlitre

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She gets an honest 525-550 out of a tank... granted the tank is huge. We still havent been able to completely fill it up... the pump cuts off at $100 (35ish gallons) and I'm too tired of standing there by then to reauthorize the card just to squeeze off another 5 or so gallons.... but at $100 the needle is right at full.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
my father in law has a late 90's suburban with over 200K on it. drove it to alaska and back one year. still on the original tranny and motor, it's actually been a solid dependable driver.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
my father in law has a late 90's suburban with over 200K on it. drove it to alaska and back one year. still on the original tranny and motor, it's actually been a solid dependable driver.
Cep't for them dang power windows keep a-failin' !:toothless

Sixlitre

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Ive never heard of a problem with the power windows or locks (other than they get sloooow when they're old). My 99 has 132k on the original 454/4L80E and the only problem I have been consistently battling is the POS NP246 transfer case "pump rub" issue. Ive been through 2 cases and now just one case half and I think its finally fixed now that I have the spacer plate in there.

Sorry I cant help on the running issue. Try the fullsizechevy.com forum. They have been pretty helpful to me in the past.

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow... sneaky problem came back.... it left the wife stranded at a gas station.

I was able to take a video with sound of it while it acted up and took that to the chevy house(because everytime I have tried to before it ran fine)

The guys listened to the video and mentioned that it had the classic symptoms of a crossfire in the distributor cap.
(along wth the "you're a Ford guy, but you're woman is smart and drives a chevy" BS) I made sure to mention that "the 2 Fords that I own are running and the chevy is parked"

Then I got the "why havent you checked the cap and rotor yet?" I responded with the old, " If Chevy had put the distributor up front where it belongs, and not in the buried in the back, I would have looked at it sooner." (All us neighbouring dealers like to harass each other)

anyhow, I pulled the cap this evening, and I'm suprised the no-start/ rough running problem was so intermintant.

See the contact in the center of the new rotor on the left? Now try to find it on the one on the right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts