Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
There are some ORV trails in the Wester MD parks. Nothing really fancy that I know of, but I haven't hit them all. The the DNR website and check out some of the Western MD state parks. http://www.dnr.state.md.us

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maryland Noobie just joined

Whats happening fellas, I just joined the site today and saw the Maryland thread so I thought I would reply. The only place I know to wheel around my house is behind Bowie State University. It's okay just really boring, same old thing over and over, how much fun can it be. Well any way I would love to see what the bronco can do in more tricky situations. I just put on the Warn Premium Hubs other that that it is all stocker. I really need to put on some tow hooks before I get in something over the wheels. Well I would love to go wheeling and learn some of your guys mods. Happy wheelin..

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I lived in Cecil we had all kinds of places to go four wheeling. Down the tracks, down the power lines, at the leavees, down at the orchard, in the creek, but my buddies tell me that's pretty much all gone now.

They still do any wheeling down in Blackwater, or down the shore? Last time I went back home Childs had grown, and Elkton had GROWN alot. I still remember when it was just a little farming town...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have been able to find a few small places in Frederick County. There are several roads in the Frederick Watershed that aren't plowed, and some that aren't maintained at all. There are also several fire trails that my dad used to wheel on 25 years ago. Unfortunately most of those fire trails are gated off now.

In any case, if you are looking for an entertaining drive (stuff that most stock 4x4s could handle pretty easily, but still a fun drive) Start by taking a road named Hawbottom (county road that's not maintained in any way) into the watershed. Then drive around looking for trails. Most private property is marked, so if a road isn't marked "private" then it should be safe. It's very interesting when there is snow on the ground. It's also a very pretty place to drive around.

Also, if you get an ADC map of the county, it shows the fire trails.

If anybody plans to do any wheeling in or near Frederick County, PM me, or send an email to [email protected] My friends and I would love to get together with some more area wheelers.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
TCRIMSONK said:
If anybody plans to do any wheeling in or near Frederick County, PM me, or send an email to [email protected] My friends and I would love to get together with some more area wheelers.
Here's a thought, you plan it and see if we can join you. With enough notice I would think a few PA boys would be up for it. I know I would be.

·
Prettier Than You
862 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
Here's a thought, you plan it and see if we can join you. With enough notice I would think a few PA boys would be up for it. I know I would be.
That's a definite. We don't have any local day wheeling spots ever since we got kicked out of the Canal. I'm sure if you give us all a heads up, we'd be down.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Okay guys, I just went out with some Jeep friends and the watershed is a very good time right now. It's only good for maybe 4 to 5 hours of actual wheeling, and you're not really far from civilization. Most of it is public gravel/dirt roads that are deliberately not plowed. This is the area where runoff goes into the Frederick City water supply. So for that reason, they don't plow or salt the roads. Right now ,though, the roads are covered with at least 6 inches of hard packed snow/ice. Except for where the water crosses the road, or where tire ruts have dug down to the ground. It's a lot of fun driving when your tires break through the ice on both sides, and drop to the muddy ground below, while the frozen ice makes tire ruts seem much deeper than they may really be. There are a few interesting (difficult) hills to get up because they are sheets of ice with a sharp ditch on one side of the trail, and a very steep hill on the other. There are also a lot of fire trails in the area that are gated off. Though many of the gates are not locked. Some are even hanging open. I havent ventured up many of them yet though, because I need to get some better tires first.

In any case, we had a lot of fun on the very slippery/rutted terrain. All of our vehicles (grand cherokee, wrangler, and my Bronco) were basically stock, and we were able to get through pretty well. A few times we had to get out and think about the best way to cross a small ford, or to help coach each other up an icy hill. It would be easy to get stuck, but we were all very careful.

Anyway, we are supposed to get another 4 or so inches of snow this week, which will make the trails even better. Hopefully by Saturday I will have some new tires. (if I'm REALLY lucky, the locker I just won on ebay will have gotten here too)

So if anybody is in the area, and want's to do a little wheeling this weekend, please let me know. My friends and I will definitely be out there. A stock Bronco would probly do okay if it comes with a very careful dirver.

A modified rig would be a lot of fun, if not the most challenging drive ever.

The best part of it all is it's LEGAL (except maybe the fire trails)

If you're interested, email [email protected] or reply here, or call my cell (240)409-7733

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Sounds good. I have not gotten my Bronco retuned yet and test driven. Once I do I'll have to check the place out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Cool. Looks like the 4 inches of snow isn't going to hapen. I'm not sure, but I bet with the rain we're supposed to get Saturday, and with it getting warm for three days, the water will be getting deep by the weekend.

Let me know if you will be around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are the off-road sites I have knowledge of....

http://www.megspace.com/cars/thundersonlinegarage/offroadn.html

Blue Thunder :rebelflag

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
alright, how bout u md boys plan something already. anywhere thats legal is good for me. Remember, the sooner the better :thumbup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts