Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has a rough idea of the weight of 1978 bronco tub w/ or wo top. I think i'm gonna do a frame off, but not sure of the best way to remove the tub. i figure either jack it up ( floor jack and stands) or i could use overhead chain hoist.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
it cant be to heavy
i disagree. It took me and about 7 other guys to put a nearly empty 87 bronco tub on a trailer, and we almost dropped it. all the tub had in it was the dash shell, a/c vents, and steering column. prettymuch everything else was gone. the 78-79 tubs are made with thicker steel and are heavier from the beginning.

I have lifted a tub off the fram using cinder blocks, blocks of wood, highlifts, sawhorses and a few other people. Its pretty dang scary.

Ive done this a few times. Best way i found was to jack up the rear of the body by the tailgate(highlift works great) slide a 4x4 underneath and support it with blocks. or saw horses. go to the front and jack it up, then get anotherl ong 4x4 to put under the front so it sticks out past the tires and let it rest on sawhorses on both sides. then you can pull the rolling chassi straight out from under it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about a 4x4 through the door opening and one through the slider window on the top and lifting with chain hoist.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
im just SWAGing it here, but you beggin for trouble.I relly dont think the fiberglass top will support the weight....and the metal roof could buckle....

but as I just im just SWAGin it here.

but if it works let us know :D.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was kinda thinkin that but figured i'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used 4 jack stands and then rolled out the frame on low profile dollies the frame is not that heavy when srtipped of everything.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
the frame is not that heavy when srtipped of everything.
very good point. I could lift up the end of my ttb frame pretty easy and could drag it a few inches in the gravel after it was stripped. A 78-79 frame is more than likely a little lighter

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
an old cast iron bath tub maybe. i have a bare 78 tub and i'd have to say somewhere around 1,000lbs. everything is completely out of it, the heaviest part of it is the front end with cowl section
gotta agree

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not really Bronco related, but it took all my friend and I had to move a stripped 197? Chevy pickup cab. Firewall to B-pillar...completely gutted. That old steel is pretty heavy.

Another buddy of mine had a '94 Yota pickup, and I picked up each side of the cab and bed myself while he slid in the body lift.

Good luck with whatever you do!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
a tow strap threw the door way linked to the rear seat latch bar WILL work!!! Ill post pics later.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I would say the bare tub with no top is probably close to 1200lbs. You can add another 200 for the fiberglass topper.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
very good point. I could lift up the end of my ttb frame pretty easy and could drag it a few inches in the gravel after it was stripped. A 78-79 frame is more than likely a little lighter
more likely the other way around. the 78/79 frames are fricken heavy

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Invite your friends over, and get a keg. Then, you ask them to help lift it while they are all buzzed and feelin good. :thumbup Who knows, you may not even have to move it yourself!

KC

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
REMINDER: The set-up that is in the pics is for one person to stand in the bed while cranking on the chain, if your not standing in the bed the rear of the truck will look like it dose in the pics, if I stood in the bed it would be level.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I junked a tub from a 78 , no top or front clip(or tailgate). according to their scales it was right at 800 lbs.It was sad day.

Slim

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
more likely the other way around. the 78/79 frames are fricken heavy
what thickness metal do the 78-79 use? I think the ttb frames are 3/16ths

1 - 20 of 21 Posts