Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about 2/3 through my swap, and got to wondering. With the change from single piston to dual piston calipers up front, and the big drums on the back with the 14-bolt vs the 9", does my master cylinger measure up? Has anyone had to upgrade master cylinder or brake booster with their SAS?:scratchhe

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You don't have to. I have a 1 ton front and rear and still run the stock stuff. I also use my Bronco for a daily driver and my brakes work fine. One of these days I will but not till my stuff goes bad or I have the extra money too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
InkDawg said:
You don't have to. I have a 1 ton front and rear and still run the stock stuff. I also use my Bronco for a daily driver and my brakes work fine. One of these days I will but not till my stuff goes bad or I have the extra money too.

or you run into a tree because you couldn't stop!!

j/k:twotu:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the concensus at the local parts stores here in this cowboy town in Montana is there is no difference, other than parts numbers, in the master cylinders. They say sure, might be nice insurance, but probably not necessary. Especially since I won't be pulling typical loads of a 1 ton pickup. Eyeballing my 85 3/4 ton pickup, master cylinder looks identical to the 85 Bronco, brake booster is actually smaller, whichmight be nice. I think I'll put it together as is, and if she ain't stopping, I'll go ahead and upgrade. Hell a new F-350 master cylinder at NAPA is only $42.00, might be the cheapest thing I'll purchase in this swap.

Next thing I gotta figure out is if I need a bigger u-joint than stock for the 14-bolt, or modify the driveshaft. Driveshaft lenght looks fine, ujoint fits in the 14-bolt straps,with a little play, I can't decide if that is because they are worn out (probably not) or need to be bigger. I have the driveshaft from the donor of the 14 bolt, I'll knock out that u-joint and compare 'em.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I was sure I saw a page, soewhere, that showed the comparison between the 1/2 and 1ton M/C - with the 1ton having a larger bore, than the 1/2ton

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
I am going to upgrade mine. DP calipers and a D70 rear. Brakes is something I will not take a chance on. It is my life and others lives a stake when my heavy bronco can't stop and plows into stuff.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i would think you would be able to stop better with 1 ton brakes with say 35's than a truck with 1/2 ton brakes with 35's, but all of which use 1/2ton MC. I always thought the dual piston ones stopped better because they put pressure over more an area than the single piston ones. I must be wrong.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
I would figure they would stop better cause of the more surface area of the pad against the rotor but if you have a bigger caliper with the same 1/2 ton mc and booster it might not have enough pressure compared to the 1 ton mc and booster to apply enough fluid to the bigger caliper..

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
the 1 ton MC's have a larger internal bore, allowing them to move more fluid through the lines. think about it, more fluid=more braking pressure=faster stops and a firmer pedal

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
finished the SAS. A couple things to help people looking into this. I drove the truck today, with F350 master cylinder and booster. It stops well, nothing astoundingly good or bad. Better than it did the swap. I did not try it with the stock master cylinder and booster so can't report on that. I had intended at one point to use the stock booster and F350 master cylinder, but the 1 ton master cylinder will not bolt to the stock booster, space between bolts is different. F350 booster easily bolted up in place of stock one. Next problem was the lines to master cylinder. One of the stock lines had a very large fitting. Tried to no avail to get a reducer for it. So I cut it off, and cut off a small one from another line and that seems to work. I had had to use a reducer to go from the chevy rear brake hose to stock Bronco rear brake line.

So far, so good. You can look at my supermotors web site to see pics

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just looking back over old posts, if anyone cares, the 14 bolt u joint is bigger than the stock bronco for the 9". I got a new driveshaft made, stock lenght, with a bigger rear u-joints. Seems to be fine. I welded spring perches on at same pinion angle as the 9", which I measured at 7 degrees. I used the stock block, and stock springs. May upgrade to F250 springs in the rear sometime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts