Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here own or drive a Volvo - or has anyone driven one, or knows of anyone else who may own/drive one?

Still looking for a DD and came across a Volvo 850R... been researching details about such a vehicle on the Volvo forums and I'm just posting inquiries to get unbiased opinions about the brand... it seems for the most part that these vehicles last for quite some time before any major repairs are needed and they seem to have a high safety rating as well..

anyone?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I here they are very dependable and safe. but when they break it is expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I drove a beater '74 Volvo wagon for many years. Was probably the toughest vehicle I have ever seen and simply refused to die. Had close to 400K miles on it and the engine was so loose and tough that when the raddy crapped on me, I drove it the 12 miles back and forth to work with a dry block for days...damndest thing I ever saw. Never did burn much oil or smoke either, before or after I tried the 'air cooled' experiment. Was still running when I scrapped it too..but the tranny was held up in place (after it fell down on its tail end and drug along the road while I was driving...!) by a bunch of Lowe's shelving brackets and self-tapping screws run in to anything that still resembled steel...was not much body left that was not rust.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
my parents had one, they loved it, it was reliable and quick

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i totalled one once, smashed bumper, condensor, and bent hood=totalled
it was an s70 T5 was actually really fun to drive

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
i shopped out XCs, so i can't help too much. there was an issue with the pre haldex awd (which doesn't effect you) and they had some issues with the fly by wire throttle potentiometer which is spendy to replace.
the ones i test drove were freakin sweet.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My parents have owned 3 or 4....all with around 300K on them. If you can learn to work on them yourself....make friends with a Volvo mechanic...and find a good source/junk yard for good deals on parts ....they are good cars.

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
I won't even look at one. I did a bit of research on them and didn't like what I read. That coupled with the horror stories I've heard from owners and I will stear away from them.
i think many volvo owners are not the hands on type and can't cope with the machine they bought and end up with high maint. costs.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
My parents had an '89 760 and the thing was great. I still like Volvos because that one made such a good impression on me. They actually still have it sitting in their driveway and all it takes is a jump start and that car is ready to go.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i think many volvo owners are not the hands on type and can't cope with the machine they bought and end up with high maint. costs.
my great aunt called me to say the brake light was coming on so i told her not to drive it, peeped it out and it was low on fluid, topped it up figured a car that old prolly has some seepage:thumbup
then a couple days later she tells me it was back on, so i go peep it and it was low on fluid:scratchhe turns out she neglected to mention she ran over a tree branch, took out a rear brake line, so every stop pumped out the fluid:banghead

also i can't say i agree entirely with their turbo setup, it seemed to have a somewhat constant loss oiling setup for the turbo, so much so that there was an oil drain hole in the bottom of the intercooler

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My Volvo experience is very limited, but the one Volvo I drove I was so impressed with I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. That was a Volvo truck, a brand new one, in fact I took it to Idaho on its maiden voyage, but if they build their trucks that nice and that powerful and that smooth and comfortable their cars gotta be just as good.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I've been hitting up this cool Volvo forum:

http://www.volvoforums.com/

I'd have to disagree that Volvo owner's are not hands on - at least not the crowd of folks on the forums over there. I'm sure with every type of vehicle there are those who don't know where their oil diptstick is, or how to refill washer fluid... LOL

The one I am looking at is an 850R - 240hp out of the box... From what I have read so far, and gathering opinions/replies from others from the threads I have posted on multiple sites, it seems that the Volvo brand, regardless of what model, is a pretty reliable vehicle. Sure, there are some common quirks with certain models (just like there is with Broncos, Mustangs, BMW's, Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas, etc), but for the most part, they seem to be well built. Most Volvo owners seem to say that the engine/trans will outlast the rest of the vehicle... LMAO - I guess this confirms FSB Member's bmc69's post in this thread!

I'm still debating on a final decision or not and still researching the brand and "quirks" related to certain models. As for ease of fixing, they seem to be pretty easy to work on from what I have read so far.

·
Registered
797 Posts
new ones suck

Dad has a 2002 Cross Country Wagon, already had huge problem with rearend. Transmission slips like crazy, and the awd system sometimes dosent engage. Spent thousands on it in repairs only has 100k miles

Brother has a 2002 s60 volvo, transmission is about shot, and check engine light just came on, to say the least he is driving the bronco now (even with the knocking like hell engine)

I have heard good things about the older ones but once Ford took over they went to hell

Aunt owns I think a 1990 240 thing runs like a top never had any serious problems almost 300k

Dads friends owns a high end car lot and moves alot of volvo, hes starting to hear alot of complains from owners about the new ones especially the ones with the t5 turbo

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You know I have to chime in... Have you looked at Saabs? The 9-5 is just an absolutely brilliant car. Anything after '05 and the only problems you might see are with the radio. 260HP 258lbft. Top-notch safety. Available in sedan or wagon.
The 9-3 is also a really great car (especially for the price, starting at $25k brand new and easily found around $15k for a used '04+). The vast majority of 9-3 problems are interior pieces peeling. They use that crappy coating on everything which looks nice and soft when it's brand new, but peels way too easily to reveal hard gloss plastic. Enthusiasts just paint with Vinyl Dye and it's good as new (probably better). The drivetrain is a turbocharged Ecotec (210hp 221lbft) motor that is just plain indestructible, mated to a Japanese Aisin transmission which never fails (we have a couple cars which come in every now and then with over 150,000 miles on them already). For '06+ 9-3s were offered with a 2.8L turbocharged high-feature V6 giving 250hp 258lbft. These are looking to be good strong motors as well, but time will tell on that. We don't see any heavy line work on them yet.
The 9-3 is offered as a sedan, wagon, or convertible.

The only "hidden" costs are: the brakes are softer than most, so they wear out around 30k-45k, the alignment is set up for FWD performance, so it eats up rear tires if you don't rotate every 5k. Mechanically, the '03s and early '04s had SAI which fails eventually due to condensation getting in the air pump... but that's about it for mechanical problems as long as you change the oil with good stuff.

I just love driving the 9-3. It's a blast and for the most part they really are indestructible.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention... the 9-3 is also an IIHS top safety pick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts