Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to put a Truetrac in front of my Bronco and was just wondering how people liked them. Or if I would be better off with a full locker?
I have a PowerTrax Lock Right locker in back. I know a selectable locker would be best, but I can buy this one for $200. It retails for $400 most of the time.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
i've got a truetrac in my D44. It seems to be a good investment...

of course, the 1st time i took the truck through it's paces off-road after the truetrac's install, i blew pretty much the whole drivers side of the axle. :duh It wasn't the limited slip's fault, tho. :thumbup

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it lock up most of the time like a locker or is it pretty lame like a factory limited slip? I want a locker but can't afford a selectable locker. I do mostly trail riding and don't want to kill my turning.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
i've never had a factory posi, so i can't compare it to that. You can definately tell the front isn't open anymore, but it's nothing to worry about. I'd say for a posi, it locks up pretty tight (so far).

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
yeah, apparently one of the caps on my u-joint worked loose, hit the lower BJ, and ripped the ears off both the inner & outer axles...and then the 'shock' of that took out the lockout hub.

But until then, the truck was pullin great through the mud and sand :twotu:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen that happen a couple of times. Sounds like the Truetrac will do what I want. It's not like I do alot of rock crawling but it would be nice to have both tires pulling you through.

Have you ever had one of the front tires off the ground, does it still pull the other tire alittle or is it completly unlocked?

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
if your still running your ttb I dont think they even sell a selectable locker for it...I'm running an aussie locker and seem to have good luck so far.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm actually getting parts together to build a EB Bronco. With as much turning as I'll be doing on the trails I'm afraid a full locker will be a pain when turning.

·
My Ass Is A...
986 Posts
redwagon said:
if your still running your ttb I dont think they even sell a selectable locker for it...I'm running an aussie locker and seem to have good luck so far.
I have a detroit in the 8.8 and a truetrac in the D44 TTB...works awesome! (For a TTB)...Minimal engagement noise and hooks up excellent...:thumbup

In my 1/2 ton

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SpareParts said:
Have you ever had one of the front tires off the ground, does it still pull the other tire alittle or is it completly unlocked?

AKBearMoose, have you had any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i had one in the back of my bronco and i loved it. both tires would spin unless one came off the ground. in that case i just applied a lite brake pressure and it would grap. i loved it for a posi unit.

·
My Ass Is A...
986 Posts
SpareParts said:
AKBearMoose, have you had any experience with this?
The engagement is quick on demand and when stuck in 3 wheel (Ledge lift) It spins all 4 tires...same as in the mud...no slop like a gov lock or "limited slip"...The only time I've ever had an issue is on Ice...because it engages quick...and on the turn into my driveway (too fast)...thought I'd be cool and kick the rear end around (like 2wd or real limited slip) well it engaged and made me ask who the idiot was that didn't cut down that tree...Enough about my stupidity...sorry rambling.

1) Excellent engagement
2) IMO it compares with the detroit in the rear

Sorry about the TTB Truck shot on a bronco forum...But it traversed the TrailToys little Rock Garde with No issues whatsoever...and wet rock to boot...(Don't be jealous of all that TTB flex...It's my work truck):histerica

Attachments

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i ordered my true track on wednesday and the install kit. rom what i read and found it was the best option for me. so out with the open 3:55 and in with the true trac and 4:56....mike

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I put a TT in the rear of my 92 since it was mainly for driving in snow areas. I did put the ARB in the front.

Basically I'd go as far as I could and then engage the ARB. Pull through, disengage and I was on my way. The setup never let me down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help guys, It sound like it will do what I want.
Obviously the selectable would be better but for $200, I'm shure I won't complain.

David

·
Registered
307 Posts
i've had a true trac in the front and arb in the rear works great only problem is when under hard acceleration in 4x4 on somewhat dry serfaces it pulls to the right. other than that it is great

1 - 20 of 20 Posts