Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone runnung a temp gauge for your rear diff, if so watt temp is yours running at normal street driving, Off roading, & highway driving?

Thanx in advance,
Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
There was a wack job over on thedieselstop with like 50 temp gauges on his truck. Said his difs were runnin in the low 100s.

Adrianspeeder

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was this an 18 wheeler or a bronco? I am looking for the normal temp on the 8.8....

Thanx,

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is running about 150* in city driving and about 180* on the Highway doing about 80. I mean the speed limit.....LOL

Has anyone ever thought of installing a diff. cooler?

I might be the first....:shocked :toothless

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
allcruisen said:
Mine is running about 150* in city driving and about 180* on the Highway doing about 80. I mean the speed limit.....LOL

Has anyone ever thought of installing a diff. cooler?

I might be the first....:shocked :toothless

You'd have to have a way to pump it through the cooler and back into the diff and if that molasses ain't hot it ain't gonna pump worth $h!t ! Take pics if you do though.

Be the first !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
That dont seem all that hot. Its hotter then I would have figured, but the oil shouldnt break down at anything below 200 I wouldnt think.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigBroncoXLT said:
That dont seem all that hot. Its hotter then I would have figured, but the oil shouldnt break down at anything below 200 I wouldnt think.
No, I did nt think so either, just wondering if anyone has a gauge on their rear end... :shrug

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sixlitre said:
You'd have to have a way to pump it through the cooler and back into the diff and if that molasses ain't hot it ain't gonna pump worth $h!t ! Take pics if you do though.

Be the first !

Sixlitre
Six, I was thinking of a w/w pump....I dont know if that will hold up though......

I'll let you know if I get it done...

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
One alternative would be a finned diff cover. It will not do much on the trail since there is minimal air flow, but I can't imagine you would be generating too much heat in the axle at that speed. It might help at highway speeds and the links below both look like they allow for more oil. I googled it and quickly found 2, but at least one is very expensive (well, $230 for a diff cover is a little too much for my cheap blood). There might be more, but that's what I could find with minimal effort.

Here's the links:

http://www.mag-hytec.com/differential covers.htm
http://www.wilcap.com/diffs.htm

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
As far as diff coolers, NASCAR runs them, I'm sure other racing series do as well. The pump is run off a belt pulley attached to the yoke and the cooler mounts to the housing or tubes. It's not a trail-friendly solution, and since not even big rigs run coolers, there's probably no reason besides bling to put one on yours. If you're really concerned, there are finned aluminum diff covers available, but they grenade on contact with anything and are also not trail friendly.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Larston, thank you!

The other day I was looking at an auction for a 9" 1350 Nascar yoke with a pully space on it. I was contemplating using it for my ghetto-fab on a pinion-mounted VSS relocation, and I could not understand WHY there would be a pully on a pinion yoke. Now I have at least an idea. =)

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shoulda been a little more specific.....I do have an awuminum cover....

I was just wondering, I might even have a sender or gauge that is not reading accurate......

As far as the cooler. I knoe NASCAR uses it....I dont think I can get the Bronco close too 200 MPH....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanx for all the help,

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
allcruisen said:
Six, I was thinking of a w/w pump....I dont know if that will hold up though......

I'll let you know if I get it done...

Allcruisin

You'd want to make sure your diff oil was hot before you turned that pump on ! The difference between the thickness of non-synthetic 85W90 and windshield washer fluid is immense.

Is you sender below the fluid lever (in the fluid) ? That could account for it not reading right ?

If you beat the whee out of your fluid you could try drilling the case at the bottom and tapping it for a drain plug. That would allow you to drain her easily and often.

I'm running fully synthetic and I drain it every 12 months and it still looks pretty good even after a few river crossings.

If you're running out of projects for the Bronco try this one;

It's plenty cheap and fun and it's very useful for more secure (out of sight) storage space.

The whole write up is here;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=20792#content

Sixlitre

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
allcruisen said:
just wondering if anyone has a gauge on their rear end... :shrug

i see a sig line!!!

sorry for the hijack allcruisen :whiteflag

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
running sythnetic will be you most bang for buck temp drop.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts