Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out, I've been searching around over at summitracing.com for some stuff to get some more power from the BKO and add some MPG's. I just ordered the ignition mod stuff. But check this out.

Its a electric water pump. It doesnt turn off the engine power so it will free up some HP for sure and maybe add some MPG's. And at 90 bucks its not a bad price. Add an electric fan and you might get some serious power back.

Here is a pic.

It says it will fit the 5.0 and you 5.8 guys can do it too!! Has anyone else seen these or tried or have one.

Heres the link to buy or look at them over at summit.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=PRO-66235B&FROM=MG

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Well that's going to put a load on your 12v system which may require a 3g alternator or a dual battery setup, I'm not sure it's worth it

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Mogley said:
Add an electric fan and you might get some serious power back.
If you put the electric pump in, you would almost be required to go to an electric fan, since I don't think you could hook up the mechanical fan to that.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
topfisherman said:
If you put the electric pump in, you would almost be required to go to an electric fan, since I don't think you could hook up the mechanical fan to that.
Yep

may as well go to a 3.8 Taurus fan and call it done. IMO it's the huge mechanical stock fan that causes the drag, not the tiny little impellors and bearings in a stock water pump.

Your money though. Used Taurus fans are barely fetching $25.00 in yards. Get the 130 amp alternator while you're there.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
150 Posts
It doesn't make any sense to run something from off the electrical system if you could easily run it off a pully.

Think about it, you're either running it straight from a pully, or you're straining the alternator, then running an electric motor that has a pully going to the water pump. Sounds like its LESS efficient to me.

The e-fan should theoretically also be less efficient, but it isn't on all the time.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just wait a minute...

rhetor said:
It doesn't make any sense to run something from off the electrical system if you could easily run it off a pully.

Think about it, you're either running it straight from a pully, or you're straining the alternator, then running an electric motor that has a pully going to the water pump. Sounds like its LESS efficient to me.

The e-fan should theoretically also be less efficient, but it isn't on all the time.
The E-fan is Not theoretically less efficient, because it isn't on all the time. The mechanical fan robs way more power, due to the parasitic drag of the fan blades and their weight. They are optimal at a certain RPM. Granted, the mechanical fan has a thermostatic clutch, but it is not very efficient. It weighs alot and still induces friction against the hub and fan. An electric one runs at a constant speed and only comes on when needed. The initial current draw to start it is high, but to keep it going requires much less energy.
If you will also notice, the most fuel efficient vehicles in the world are actually internal combustion engines driving generators, that are charging batteries, that are storing that energy to power the electric motors. Cars, diesel locomotives, and even ships are all employing these designs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i've only seen them used on race vehicles that don't have to run more that 10 min at a time. we've used them in drag cars but that is because we ran no alternator and no pulleys. i don't think i'd use one on a daily driver or an trail rig the extra power probably wouldn't be worth the possible walk if it fails. but i know nothing of long term dependibility on them

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Yeah, I think he has never seen a Summit printed catalog... says right in print its intended for drag/stip use, not for DD. :)

·
Go Navy!
710 Posts
Electric WP is asking for trouble as a DD. The motor burns out in stop and go traffic.and there is NO BACKUP!!!

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
DakotaBronco84 said:
i've only seen them used on race vehicles that don't have to run more that 10 min at a time. we've used them in drag cars but that is because we ran no alternator and no pulleys. i don't think i'd use one on a daily driver or an trail rig the extra power probably wouldn't be worth the possible walk if it fails. but i know nothing of long term dependibility on them
Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. We run one on our drag car, I don't think I'd run one on a daily driver.

Like already said, electric fans are gonna free it up more than that water pump.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
turp said:
Electric WP is asking for trouble as a DD. The motor burns out in stop and go traffic.and there is NO BACKUP!!!
Excellent point

so's BroncoBabe's point. While Marv's point is often true, a Taurus fan is the closest thing you're going to get to a free lunch IMO.

Plus there's a dozen other reasons to install a 130 amp 3G alternator, but the taurus fan is the best.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
150 Posts
95_G&W_XLT said:
The E-fan is Not theoretically less efficient, because it isn't on all the time. The mechanical fan robs way more power, due to the parasitic drag of the fan blades and their weight. They are optimal at a certain RPM. Granted, the mechanical fan has a thermostatic clutch, but it is not very efficient. It weighs alot and still induces friction against the hub and fan. An electric one runs at a constant speed and only comes on when needed. The initial current draw to start it is high, but to keep it going requires much less energy.
If you will also notice, the most fuel efficient vehicles in the world are actually internal combustion engines driving generators, that are charging batteries, that are storing that energy to power the electric motors. Cars, diesel locomotives, and even ships are all employing these designs.

this is what i meant by "the e-fan should theoretically be less efficient, but it isn't on all the time."

I meant that while running, it uses more power than a mechanical. BUT it isn't running all the time. The water pump IS running all the time (lets hope so) so you shouldn't be saving any power.

You do not gain efficiency by running a gas motor, to run a generator, to run an electric motor to do what the gas motor could have done in the first place. These things are more efficient because they can run the gas motor at max efficiency (usually the torque peak at WOT) and do not have to use gearing and wide rpm ranges where the motor is less efficient. These vehicles also have many other aspects that make them more efficient on fuel. You cannot get something for nothing.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
95_G&W_XLT said:
Internal combustion engines are FAR from the most efficient in the world........
also the concept of diesel-electric propulsion is a old one, and is used mostly because the electric motor can be metered much more precisely at low to very low power settings, and as the other reply stated the IC motor can be run at its optimal RPM for longer periods of time.

A locomotive trying to gain traction from a dead stop......just think how hard it would be if you had to use a throttle and internal combustion engine to do the job.......an electric motor has exceptional torque, even at very low RPM, and can be controlled in such a way (by metering the power carefully and increasing the power in very small increments) that the wheels dont spin on the rails.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't think he was saying that IC motors are the most efficient.

He was saying that the most fuel efficient cars in the world are the hyrbid cars using gas motors and electric motors.

Its so easy to start a tangent debate around here :D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
marv said:
Bottom line, there's no such thing as a free lunch!
That's really what it comes down to. An electric water pump with the same flow capacity will require more power from the engine, not less. Look at it this way -- say it takes an amount of power P to pump the water at the flowrate you need. You're belt driving either the water pump or the alternator, so the belt efficiency is the same. You'll have an efficiency n1 for the alternator, and another efficiency n2 for the water pump motor, both of which are numbers smaller than one. The total amount of power Pe required to drive an electric water pump to do the same amount of work as a belt-driven one is:

Pe = P / (n1*n2).

Pe is always greater than P. Again, no free lunch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts