Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing Craigslist as I am wont to do, and found this ad with an interesting tire carrier setup. They look close to stock but not quite and of course the mirror image one is a new one for me. Has anyone seen this before or know anything about them?

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,838 Posts
There's a 78 in the JY here that has a latching mechanism similar to those. I assumed it was the remnants of an aftermarket tire carrier as this 78 had an interior spare tire carrier as well. I would guess someone bought two and modified one to swing on the opposite side for that particular Bronco you have pictured there or the aftermarket manufacturer made left and right handed carriers.

You can see the latch I'm talking about in this pic. I was taking a pic of the bumper, so it's not the greatest.

The interior carrier. Again, wasn't taking a pic of the carrier. lol

·
Registered
1993 F150 XLT 302 Auto 4x4 2.5" Lift on 32's
58 Posts
Many many years ago. I don't know if they were stock, though I'd see them with a spare on one side and a fuel tank on the other.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Those arent ford carriers. At least not bronco. The latch and hinges are all wrong. My guess would be from a fullsize van of some sorts. I've seen many of them with that same latching mechanism.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,573 Posts
It's a dealer option. It also comes with 2 run-flat spares. You check @locopny on the ordersheet. :toothless
Very rare indeed. 😆
Ya kno....sometimes the smallest of issues just stick with ya your entire life.
First dozen times it was a curse...then it was a learning opportunity for a new skill set.

Not seen them like that design that wasn't a custom job/home brew.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's a 78 in the JY here that has a latching mechanism similar to those. I assumed it was the remnants of an aftermarket tire carrier as this 78 had an interior spare tire carrier as well. I would guess someone bought two and modified one to swing on the opposite side for that particular Bronco you have pictured there or the aftermarket manufacturer made left and right handed carriers.

You can see the latch I'm talking about in this pic. I was taking a pic of the bumper, so it's not the greatest.

The interior carrier. Again, wasn't taking a pic of the carrier. lol

where is this yard. I need a tailgate lock and switch assembly

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,838 Posts
That picture is from a couple years ago and that switch assembly is in my Bronco now.

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
507 Posts
I was perusing Craigslist as I am wont to do, and found this ad with an interesting tire carrier setup. They look close to stock but not quite and of course the mirror image one is a new one for me. Has anyone seen this before or know anything about them?

At first glance I thought wow great idea then after inspecting it I realized two large lets say 35ish tires would not fit next to each other so dream instantly went bust...but it does get me thinking....thanks for sharing(y)

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where are you? I've got one of the lock cylinders from here, but I'm pretty sure the local JY has a few tailgate s to pillage from. Helena, MT.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
447 Posts

Hey Doosen!
I need the part where the rear bumper is mounted to, can you get this off? I would take the bolts for the bumper as well, but my smittybuild rear bumper would leave nothing left to me to mount the original rear bumper....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I don't know if that bumper is still there, that picture is a couple years old. When I was looking at it I was going to take it for my truck, but everything was welded together. The brackets you'd need are welded to the frame on that Bronco. They're not supposed to be, but someone did it on this one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts