Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to cb radios and just picked one up, now me thinking it would be an easy plug and play thing found out otherwise.. now i need to know if the bko's can have the grounded antenna kit because thats what i ordered. another thing i need to kno where i can get my antenna tuned... idk yet if i wanna buy a SWR meter or not. and last thing is who still uses them... i thought it would be kinda kool to play around with and talk to new ppl maybe some fellow full size bronco guys. let me kno plz thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ground plane set up, non ground plane set up???

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I try to keep functional CB's my my rigs... some of my friends have cb's in theirs as well, it's REALLY handy to be able to talk to somebody without stopping them and pulling up to them, or getting out to talk. some of my friends insist on ham radios "so much better"...which they are, but IMO its hard enough to get everyone i go wheelin' with to get CB's, much less a ham.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
I was looking at buying a SWR meter on ebay, Thet are fairly cheap- Is there any one that is better than the other ? Is there a particular brand {Galaxy?} Are thay easy to use ???

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
I think we got rid of ours when the Cold War ended.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
If you're using the CB to just talk to your wheeling buddies then it's cool.. However the range on them isn't very far.. Us Ham radio people call CB the "Crybaby Band" Everytime I've tuned to the CB freq's it's always the same thing.. F this and n bomb that.. It gets old quick. I went to ham so I could get away from that and be able to talk a lot farther..

That being said I do plan to put a CB in the wheeling rig cause not everyone has a ham radio.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
I have a cb in my truck and use it for traffic updates and on the trail. I had my antenna on the bumper with a mag mount and it worked fine, then I upgraded the antenna to a wilson and put in dead center on the cab. That made it so much better but I had to remove it to pull into my jobs parking structure. Now I have it on the tire carrier on the back. I have never used a ground plane kit, never needed one.

·
Back in Action
6,590 Posts
All of my friends have them as do I in our vehicles. They are handy. I sometimes turn them on just to listen while on the highway. Helped a truck driver find a strip club because he didn't know the area. Then alot of people on the CB wanted to have a meet and greet at the Strip club. I couldnt make it though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
greenmonster that is funny as hell... well i ordered the ground plane kit so and the mount that came on the truck when i bought it is on the D side of front bumper, i hope it works i guess

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I use my CB on the trails and on long road trips. I love the old Royce, but in my Bronco I have a Cobra 75WX ST and an amp in case I need to get some range for emergency help. It's a pain in the butt wheeling with people who don't have a radio.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,237 Posts
Is it possible to get a ham radio that has CB capability, or are they too different to work together? I would love to be able to get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I use my on the trail a lot. And it's sometimes fun to shoot the shit with truckers.

You should be able to get it tuned at a good radio shop. I had a buddy with an swr meter tune mine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
use mine and love it! nice local roundtable, great on the road, also love my ham radio! just make sure to get a good antenna, radio is nothing without the antenna

·
Registered
37 Posts
i got a cobra 29 ltd i have had since i drove line
and would not wheel with out one! but i get mine tuned picked and tweaked and it talks about 10 miles

1 - 20 of 32 Posts