1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
No, but no. They're chinese.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
they are junk. Don't use them. Normally they cause more problems than anything else.

You cant gap them. not what our trucks were designed to use.

Stick with autolite or motorcraft copper cores or double platinums

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
Doesn't matter where they're made; they suck on ice. I've pulled more of those craptastic wasters of usable resources than I've ever installed. I also group Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in with them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
No, but no. They're chinese.

watch it... theres good chinese and bad chinese

Good chinese

bad chinese

I would group them in the bad chinese group LOL.... I used to manage a couple Advance auto part stores. I would toss them in a bin and keep them in the back because i refused to sell them.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
watch it... theres good chinese and bad chinese
:rofl: It wasn't intended as a smack against Chinese culture itself, but rather their current government, militarism, complete lack of respect for human rights, religious intolerance, etc. Just look at Tibet, and what they do to Christians.

I think they also make absolute garbage-quality products, and probably intentionally include toxic metals and chemicals in the products they ship us to slowly poison our society, but beyond that, my aforementioned reasons are why I do not purchase anything make in china. Also, look at how much energy is wasted shipping crap from 10,000 miles away.

I don't have that level of reservation about purchasing things from South Korea, Japan, Mongolia, etc. HOWEVER, I strive to find local sources of everything I must purchase, as little as it is. By local, I don't merely mean the US; I mean Grand Rapids, Michigan, the Midwest. I don't even buy fruit this time of year because it all comes from California, Mexico, Argentina, or Chile (I know there are more, but those are the prominent countries I find produce coming from).

·
Registered
188 Posts
I want to try them. For the people that say know our trucks weren't designed for them. our trucks weren't designed for big blocks, full floating axles, lifts, and the rest of the stuff we do to our trucks.I'm going to order some soon as the science behind them makes since.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
:stupid

Also E3 has a satisfaction gurantee, so you have nothing to loose, plus an outstanding warranty.

i would love to see someone actually use the plugs and provide real data, vrs the typical response that you see in these threads;

No, but no. They're chinese

You cant gap them. not what our trucks were designed to use.

Stick with autolite or motorcraft copper cores or double platinums

I guess nobody seem to notice, that during the course of sparkplug advancement, nothing can be found newer, that outperforms a typical older OEM plug.

fwiw, I have NGK v-groove in my truck. My truck didn't come with them, wasn't design for them, but the plug out did the autolite 764, that I had in the engine originally.

I would never have known this, if I would not have at least tried them.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Also E3 has a satisfaction gurantee, so you have nothing to loose, plus an outstanding warranty.

i would love to see someone actually use the plugs and provide real data, vrs the typical response that you see in these threads;
i HAVE installed these garbage plugs before, at a customers request. One car, a 4.6 f150 misfired like crazy, the other one, a ford tarus, appeared to run ok.

SO i guess a 50% success rate is acceptable? :twak

how can the design of these things make sense? Ungappable, so you are probably stressing the coil more than you should. Electricity always follows the easiest path to ground, so what good are 3 ground electrodes doing, its only going to spark to one. And with the e3's its almost making a cage for the spark so if its aimed down in the plug hole its probably hurting performance. Its design is pointless in an engine like the 4.6 where the plugs screw in from the top.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i HAVE installed these garbage plugs before, at a customers request. One car, a 4.6 f150 misfired like crazy, the other one, a ford tarus, appeared to run ok.

SO i guess a 50% success rate is acceptable? :twak

how can the design of these things make sense? Ungappable, so you are probably stressing the coil more than you should. Electricity always follows the easiest path to ground, so what good are 3 ground electrodes doing, its only going to spark to one. And with the e3's its almost making a cage for the spark so if its aimed down in the plug hole its probably hurting performance. Its design is pointless in an engine like the 4.6 where the plugs screw in from the top.
Tells you how much you know about car's electronics & ignition systems. The Multiple paths, give you a bigger spark front. The same ideal exists on the splitfire with the V center-electrode.

Second, in a regular plugs the ground electrode actually shields the flame front, and thats means to reduce fire and heat into the mixture. The heat is what really startes the combustion process. A unrestricted plug does this so much better. Racers are known to unshroud the plug tip to take advanatge of this and by indexing the plug, they can direct this new front to better areas or ignition improvements.

Third, the plugs are also claiming better emissions due all of this and technology in the plugs.

What E3 did is not new, other plugs manufactures have done the the same ideal, just E3 took a different approach. ( research powerstar, splitfire and pulsestar plugs, bosch2/4s, etc )

FWIW, my dad has a E3 in his chain saw, it startes easier and seems to run slightly better. Now we installed it, only due to it was a one plug purchase at about $5 dollars. We did buy the wrong plug and had to exchange it, it seems like E3 does not have a simple straight comparative guide to match the correct plug some times. Our shell in our case was the wrong length iirc.

A E3 would be over 7-8 dollars X 8 cylinders, and some stores have them at nearly 9-10 dollars. My V groove NHKs where under 5 dollars from Napa with my discount. The cost alone is what deters most people from buying these other plugs. So all you have are comments as posted in this thread with no real data or comparisons information to back it all up. I would love to see dyno comparisons and real life long term driving data logging with these plugs vrs the others. They with all of the data showns, you can now make a fair comparisons, other than "it's junk " with no supporting information.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Tells you how much you know about car's electronics & ignition systems. The Multiple paths, give you a bigger spark front. The same ideal exists on the splitfire with the V center-electrode.
Tells you how much you know about ignition and the internal combustion engine. Do you light candles on a birthday cake with a plasma torch?

Use google and you will find tons of dyno results and real world stats on E3's. The most comprehensive results I found indicated a 5% loss of mpg and 1% loss of HP.

The thing you have to understand is even if the spark plug has 1,000 spark points, you can't get more energy out than what is put in. After all it's a damn law of physics. So more points with the same energy = same amount of energy divided by said points, meaning less powerful spark produced off of more points. Then you also have to consider that electricity takes the avenue of least resistance, so getting it to fire off of all the points is nearly impossible.

The reason multiple point plugs are popular in 2-stroke engines is because you have a gas/oil mixture and when one point fouls, another point comes into play. This is due to electricity taking the avenue of least resistance.

Second, in a regular plugs the ground electrode actually shields the flame front, and thats means to reduce fire and heat into the mixture. The heat is what really startes the combustion process. A unrestricted plug does this so much better. Racers are known to unshroud the plug tip to take advanatge of this and by indexing the plug, they can direct this new front to better areas or ignition improvements.
Have you seen how much of the spark face is obstructed by all these points? It's practically a freaking blast shield over the spark surface.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
So all you have are comments as posted in this thread with no real data or comparisons information to back it all up. I would love to see dyno comparisons and real life long term driving data logging with these plugs vrs the others. They with all of the data showns, you can now make a fair comparisons, other than "it's junk " with no supporting information.
So, a car with e3's misfiring is going to dyno better than a car not misfiring with the factory plugs?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Hey, lets shroud the spark, that'll help make more power!!!
Get you a set of E6 "Fast Burn Heads" with shrouded valves and the combo should be unstoppable!!

:histerica

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey, lets shroud the spark, that'll help make more power!!!
Get you a set of E6 "Fast Burn Heads" with shrouded valves and the combo should be unstoppable!!

:histerica
:rofl:
I was personally thinking that they could have completely enclosed the sides, that way it would kinda look like a lazer when it fired! And everyone knows Lazers are AWESOME!

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
My dad is having a good laugh at this thread. He was an engineer at Champion for 18 years, before Cooper bought them out.

One thing no one has mentioned is the electrode configuration and its effect upon required ionization voltage...but I suppose that's a little beyond this thread.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
One thing no one has mentioned is the electrode configuration and its effect upon required ionization voltage...but I suppose that's a little beyond this thread.
that is past my relm of understanding....:popc1:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My dad is having a good laugh at this thread. He was an engineer at Champion for 18 years, before Cooper bought them out.

since you mention champion, care to have him input. Champion never went with anything fancy with multiple side electrodes, but they have made changes in side electrode shapes and width and how much shroud the center electrode. Outside of that changing the center electrode , the champion plug has not changed over the last 100yeras.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts