Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about renting one to pick up a parts truck......this is the specs off their site for the car trailer....

Auto Transport

The most secure way to tow your vehicle. U-Haul is the only national company that rents towing equipment without a truck rental.
More on U-Haul vehicle trailers Reserve now

Instructions for loading a vehicle with low ground clearance
Capacity
Max load: 4,000 lbs.
Gross vehicle weight: 6,000 lbs. max
Empty weight: 2,000 lbs.
Features
Easy-access loading ramp
Tilt-out fender allows vehicle door access
Ratchet-operated tire straps
Vehicle security chains
Automatic hydraulic surge brake
Advisements
Your towing vehicle:
Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
Must weigh at least 3,500 lbs. (curb weight), and must equal or exceed 80% of the combined weight of the trailer (2,000 lbs.) and the vehicle being towed (up to 4,000 lbs.).
Must have Class 3 tow hitch (5,000 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating)
Must have 1-7/8", 2" or 2-1/8" hitch ball (5,000 lbs. minimum)
Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
Must have external mirrors on both sides
Must have fully operational lighting
Auto transport lighting must be operational at all times, day and night, loaded or unloaded
Maximum recommended speed is 45 MPH
The vehicle being towed:
Must not weigh in excess of 4,000 lbs.
Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 79.25"
Note: outside tire width over 75" must use late-model U-Haul Auto Transport (identifiable by silver galvanized color).
Must have a maximum wheelbase (distance from front axle to rear axle, usually posted on the driver's side door jamb) of 133 inches.
Low-hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers, air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the Auto Transport during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance for these items.
will a ext cab shortbed fit? how about longbed ext cab? I don't trust their dollies to haul a truck. Anywhere else you can rent a good car trailer?

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ogeechee 4x4 said:
nope...no one here has ever used one

haha funny shit :goodfinge

Hey rob how well did it fit? its been a few years but when my sis had her Bonne on one i thought it was a tight fit.

BTW on their site it said a f150/f250 wasn't heavy enought to tow another 1/2ton truck which was kinda funny, but whatever they have to do to cover their ass i spose.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
85f150 said:
BTW on their site it said a f150/f250 wasn't heavy enought to tow another 1/2ton truck which was kinda funny, but whatever they have to do to cover their ass i spose.
Lie like a rug. I told them i was haulin' a bitchin camaro.

I had to air down the tires to get the straps on and get a com-a-long to tie the ass end down, since they only give you a chain.

I aired up the tires while it was still the trailer, and then had to pull it off with my dakota (sniffle).

I had trouble going up hill, i wouldn't punch the gas, so i would only maintain about 40 MPH going up the hills in PA, other than that i had no problems towing it.

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
shit, i told the local uhaul i was towing a single cab f-150 for a street rod when i towed my bronco down south. towed fine without a problem. and she fit fine with a fullwidth solid axle up front and 31's on stock rims

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used one with my Bronco to pick up my buddies 4-runner from Ohio. Only complaints I had were that the straps you use to hold the vehicle down were barely big enough to fit around the tires and that joke of a chain your supposed to hook onto a tow hook. We bought some BIG tow straps at a truck stop and strapped the body of the truck down so it wouldn't be so top heavy (we were being blown all over the interstate at 45 mph) but after strapping it down it was a breeze towing it back down to Tennessee at 65+ mph.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I rented one a while back, about 2 years ago, to haul my 65 Mustang from Maryland to St. Louis. Worked fine for it, and could have taken a lot more on it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I rented a U-haul trailer to haul a 1673 Cat engine still bolted on to about 12 feet of the frame. Front axle was on it so that made it easy to move around. It cost $180 to go from Redmond Oregon to Stockton California which is about 500 miles.
When I went to pick it up I just said I was towing a toyota pick-up with it. If you say anything too heavy they won't rent you the trailer.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
85f150 said:
holy crap, that trailer is that short ?

i read that thread and forgot all about it.....BTW i checked for the nearest hertz and they are all way teh hell out of the way

I believe they have longer trailers than that one

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
bearfoot_25 said:
I believe they have longer trailers than that one
Yeah I have seen 16's and that will fit a long bed standard cab easilly. If you need something bigger you can always go to a commercial rental place and they have longer and heavier trailers, but sometimes you can't do a one-way rental with them

·
Harmful if swallowed
2,115 Posts
I hauled my trailduster home on one. Barely fit with 33's. Had to fold the fender out, sorta drive around the other fender. It squeaked on.

Make sure to check the tire pressures, the trailer I got all four tires were low.

The straps are a joke, go buy some real ones and strap it down.

Towed good, but a lot of that was probably the 2500, you'd forget you're towing something.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MikE2 said:
It cost $180 to go from Redmond Oregon to Stockton California which is about 500 miles.
When I went to pick it up I just said I was towing a toyota pick-up with it. If you say anything too heavy they won't rent you the trailer.
Well i was plannin on getting teh trailer at the nearrest place and then driving about 2hrs away to get the truck then 2hrs back. I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of finding a place, plus i thought it said on U-haul's site it was 60 bucks for a day?

·
Registered
288 Posts
i towed my charger on one from kansas to ND using a E350 1 ton van. they told me the van "wasnt heavy enough to handle towing a heavy car" the ****ing thing weighed 7900 pounds! how much bigger did they need?!?!

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
85f150 said:
thinking about renting one to pick up a parts truck......this is the specs off their site for the car trailer....

Max load: 4,000 lbs.
This is an issue IMO. I wouldn't do it.

If anything goes wrong and you've overloaded the trailer you're exposed to a lot of liability I'd think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts