Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
my bko ate my money
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.stage8.com/kits.html

anybody using these?

seen a commercial and thought id check em out.....i dont have much problems with stuff loosening and falling out but these might be used on my next rebuild for reassurence

·
Forward Some Money
5,025 Posts
I ran a set on my early Bronco (302). They keep the header bolts from backing out, but can be a bit difficult to get in. If you have limited clearance between the header at the flange and the bolt, they probably wont work.

I had the headers replated and didnt put them back on - if that means anything.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yep, had them on my headers for over a year now they work GREAT. The even make a lock nut for the 4x4 hub from what I have heard

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Everyone uses them on headers. Said this a million times... They will keep the bolt from backing out, but if you properly install regular bolts (preferable allens) and retorque them often during the initial few thousand miles as you're supposed to they will not back out, and your gaskets will last MUCH longer. The biggest reason why the header bolts back out is from the gasket shrinking down along with the heating cycles which makes the bolts loose. Retorque them as the gasket shrinks and you won't have any trouble. Often when people use those locking bolts they don't do the retorqueing, and because of that the gaskets blow out far more often.
The only people that use those locking bolts are the uneducated ones, ignorant to the right way. IMO.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
I used them, they where easy as pie to install on the engine stand. Never, had a header gasket blow, or had a header bolt back out. But I figured, what the heck.

Blew a hole in the drivers side header gasket and had to replace it. Took me 45 minuts just to get the clips off with the engine in the engine compartment. When reinstalling the header, I gave up on running the clips on the bolts after spending another 45 minuts just trying to put the first clip on. It's been a year and the clipless bolts have not moved.

Great idea in theory, but a pain in the real world.

·
my bko ate my money
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks guys, sounds like a real PITA and might make it alot harder to R&R parts, so im kicking that idea to the curb, maybe just some retorqing and maybe some thread locker should be all ill ever need, im not a big fan of those E-clips anyways

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
A company selling me a product but can't spell integrity worries me.
Why?

What does spelling have to do with quality locking fasteners?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Don't put thread locker on everything, just the bolts notorious to loosen like left side axle shafts, ring gear, pinion nuts, ect.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Why?

What does spelling have to do with quality locking fasteners?
....people make mistakes spelling... who cares. But no way in hell would I buy from a company, no matter what they sell, if they can't proof read their own website. It's like signing up for free checking at the local bank who says, sign up for 'free cheking.' Pretty sloppy for a product you are advertising.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
....people make mistakes spelling... who cares. But no way in hell would I buy from a company, no matter what they sell, if they can't proof read their own got dang website. It's like signing up for free checking at the local bank who says, sign up for 'free cheking.' Pretty sloppy for a product you are advertising.
Mental note.

Broncobob will probably not be a customer of the "Mustang Speed Shop" or " Bronco offroad Peformance centers"

Already lost a customer and I haven't even opened the doors yet..... Or even have a buisness plan....or investors.

Thanks, now I'm depressed. :twak

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I thought about getting some for the collectors. I have the Bassani y-pipe with stock manifolds on my 302 and cant get the bolts to stay tight. So I was going to give them a try there.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I tried a set and got frustrated trying to get the damn clips on...so I used regular bolts and keep the stage 8 stuff in a box on the shelf.

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
The only people that use those locking bolts are the uneducated ones, ignorant to the right way. IMO.
I dissagree with that mike. I had ran a set of external locking hubs and when wheeling with a welded front, nothing would keep those f'n bolts from backing out. grade 5, grade 8's, enough loktite to sink a large vessel, they always back out, break and take the hub out with them. Once I put in the stage* fasteners on the hubs I never had another bolt failure nor a hub failure from bolts coming loose.

They do have there place, and just to say stupid people use them is well just stupid in it's self.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts