Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, you guys are great and I have learned a whole lot on this forum.:thumbup

I have a '94 Bronco XLT with the E40D transmission. I just bought axles out of a jeep but were originally out of a 79 F-150. I have been researching the SAS thread like crazy. The axles (dana 44 and 9") are both yukon 5.13 gears and shafts. Detroited in the front and spooled in the rear. I couldn't resist the deal came with everything. :rockon

The problem I'm concerned with is the VSS. I have seen that people(shadowfax) and others have located a toner ring and vss on the dana 60. That seems simple enough. However, I have not found anyone to do this on a Ford 9". :banghead

So being spooled, can I locate the toner ring on the spool?

Is there a spot on the third member to drill a hole for locating the sensor that will allow it to be less than 1 mm away from the toner ring?

Or is there another option like putting the sensor on the tranny or transfer case? :wacko

Any advise will help. I am working with a shop on this and hopefully they can figure something out also. In this case I will let you know if I find anything out.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have not seen anyone VSS a 9".

Curt LeDuc sells a VSS relocation kit that mounts it up by the transfer case. The way he described it to me is that you need to run 4.56's and 35's for it to be correct though. I have not heard or seen anyone run that either.

You could always just keep the 44, sell the 9" and find a 60 or 10.25.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have considered that option. However, I have new tires and rims which are 15's. By the time I buy, regear, spool or lock, and figure how to get 5 on 5.5 on 15 inchers with a one ton axle...I should be able to figure out the vss. For that matter maybe I should do a C6 swap. This e40D sh%t is pissing me off.

I did hear you can get a 5 on 5.5 disc conversion for a 14 bolt. Don't know how much it is for sure but imagine it's spendy. Maybe I'll look into that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts