Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
get this... i hate to even mention it. geez. ok i got a 79 D60. on the top of each knuckle, there is a stamped metal cover. there is a grease fitting up there and its domed. do you know what i mean? i have told you about the parts stores here. i am going to napa tomorrow, they always have everything. but i had one store that didnt even bother to punch it up and look, just said they didnt know what i meant. i swear i am going to stop going there after i get my schizit finished. upper king pin caps. how hard can it be to find a new pair?? move here and i will drive you around and let you see. anybody have a link or a part number or an online parts place i can order from?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I believe NAPA can get them, also. Parts Mike too... I have one that came from him.

I believe the name is kingpin cap... or kingpin spring retainer cover or something like that.

Just reuse your old ones. So long as they're not rusted through, it's not like they wear out or anything. :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Oh, and if they can't find it in the computer (probably not...) I'm pretty sure it's in the Spicer book. There's an exploded diagram of the knuckle with part nos on everything.

But I'll be honest -- I had a damn hard time finding D60 parts in general. I'm a couple blocks from the SE Carquest distributor, and they don't even have the kingpin assembly listed in their books. BUT, just about anyplace around carries D60 balljoints in stock. What's that tell you? ;)

If NAPA still isn't any help, try a FleetPride or something... heavy truck repair place. I ordered SPL55-3x u's through them. Only paid $30/ea plus shipping. Most places charge about $70/ea!

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zach, you never gave me a parts nember, just kept saying use the ones i had. and when i said i didnt want that rusty crap on my new high steering arms, you said that stuff didnt matter to you. we PM'ed or emailed 5-7 messages and you never mentioned a part number. if you had, i would have thanked you and bought them. anyway, heres what i am using for arms, thats a smaller rod end than i will end up using, i found bigger. not the 1", just under though

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy351 said:
naval jelly, sand paper, spray paint. problem solved:shrug
i've got it all here. your going to come over when to do them for me? i have a wire cup for my grinder, but i would rather get new ones. surface rust is one thing, but these past that. really, i dont mind buying new ones. its just hard to find stuff at the local parts stores. parts mike has everything. still, i just need the cap. i am looking forward to new knuckles eventually when the Dedenbear does the fords. then i will rebuild them.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
axaviere said:
i've got it all here. your going to come over when to do them for me? i have a wire cup for my grinder, but i would rather get new ones. surface rust is one thing, but these past that. really, i dont mind buying new ones. its just hard to find stuff at the local parts stores.
just trying to give you another solution if you couldn't find brand new ones.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know man. i know i could clean them up. i just dont want to. i would rather buy new ones. its not like that many people will even see them. except you guys here after the install. really i appreciate all the suggestions. but the thing is, my object is really to find new caps. i could attack these while they are still on the axle and get them to look like new. i dont want to. i am already installing the D60 pretty much by myself and going crazy looking for freaking rod ends (dont say use heims or i will snap) i have spent days talking to rockstomper and they dont really seem to know their azz from a hole in the ground. i dont want to harsh on anyone. we used to have a spicer shop in town and then they closed down. there are a few other truck parts places that i have yet to explore. its just kinda making me want to say screw it all and just regear my D44 to 4.10 and screw the D60. i emailed rocksmoker and they cant recall what rod ends they use. how can you not recall what part you sell? i went back and forth all damn day and they kept dancing around the subject until they said they couldnt remember and they didnt have any in stock. well how are they going to buy them when i order my rods? which i am thinking of going elsewhere for or having them made locally. how would i get new parts if they cant tell me the numbers they use? then he says we will send them if you buy the rods, why do you want to buy spares? well why wouldnt i? hmmm, why would i want a spare rod end on a D60 with hydro assist? geez its like :banghead so i am a little tired of answers to questions i didnt ask. sorry if i snap at anyone... so thanks Mark, seboh,zach & andy.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
axe, sorry about this, but i think you are trying to get stuff to perfect. its going to be wheeled right? shits going to break no matte rtwhat, its gonna get bashed and bent up.

you are thinking stuff out way to far, sometimes you just need to go out and do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Axe....

check this out..
king pin re-build tech

its got P/N's......

AND, I think in there is a link to 4wdFActory....(4wdfactory.com or something)...
Greg there sells the "complete" kingpin rebuild kits.....they're like $45/side....and you get everything....upper kingpin/bushing/spring/cap, lower bearing & race, new bolts and seals...
its cheaper than replacing all the ball joints on a D44, and will last you a helluva lot longer....

--Berne

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
axaviere said:
going crazy looking for freaking rod ends (dont say use heims or i will snap) i have
spherical rod ends, not heims J/K giving you a hard time.
Did you get the high steer arms from Rockstomer?
If so he uses the Standard 3/4-1ton Chevy ends
ES2233L $25.99 pass side tie rod
ES2234R $24.99 driver side tie rod
ES2027L $24.99 high misalignment drag link end
ES2026R $24.99 high misalignment drag link end
(At least he used to)
If you get fed up with it, Sell me the arms.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually i got them from ebay used from a new guy that makes pretty nice stuff. he makes a set with the caps cast in or milled as a part of the arm. but these were a steal at the cost i got from ebay. i am emailing him and i will post his site here.
mark i believe that i looked at the same site where you got the part numbers and when i checked, i could only find es2234r in stock. i am going to try a little more looking. i would sell these, but only to buy ones with the cap designed in.
badass i am not really trying to get it perfect. although it does make it alot easier if its close. see its my daily driver. i cant just rip it apart and leave it while i go searching for ends. and with the trouble i have had finding them so far, i am glad i have taken it slow. hell i just want to get the parts period, i cant start on the rods til i get the ends. all i have done to the D60 was take all the stuff off the tube so i can get the <> on. i spend a little time everyday doing stuff and spending money. its just pissing me off the way some of the parts store dont even have the old books with parts in them anymore.
Berne thanks, i will look that over, it should help alot with the parts stores. heres the guy, his site is not done yet, but his shop is working fine. if these werent so cheap, i would have gotten the ones with the caps designed in.
guys, i appreciate everything. you see how nice his stuff looks when its clean? thats all im after.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
i know a few people who think like you, my bud with the toyota does.
he spends so much time planing and laying it out becuase he doesnt have the itme to rip it apart, and all he ends up doing is changing his plans, and reqorking stuff out. i finaly got him to go out and buy a set of axles yesturday for it after about 3 months of planning.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well they guy that i got them from was just using bolts & not studs. but i doubt that it was his DD. these have alot of rust on the bolts & studs. he said he used grade 5 but im going to use gr8 hardware at least if not the studs. just out of curiousity, why do you suggest reaming & conical washers? to avoid slop?

AHHHH.... i found a place that carries spicer & they have the part available to order. i will see what new studs & cone washers cost too. dana/spicer part #620-132

·
Registered
84 Posts
slop in that steering arm is dangerous!!!!!

any slop will put the bolts in shear (they should ONLY be in tension).....and when cycled in shear, the bolts WILL break....and if you're on the road, that will be BAD...

all the OEM that originally used steering arms like that used the cone washers and tapered holes for a reason...

--Berne

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i understand that completely. i guess i can use the cone washer to get the angle of the washer. if thats the case i would have to look at using them on both sides huh? ya think these are spicer parts too? hmmm... ok, the guy makes the arms & you can see them at MAD4WD & you can order direct for less i would imagine from the site i posted above, or click *THIS* link. he is still building the site. later, AXE

1 - 20 of 35 Posts