Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok for the past few weeks ive been having problems with my AC, it would start out cold and get the house cooled down but then after a while it would start getting hot again, and i noticed that the line was frozen over where the insulation had started comming off, and it wasnt just a little ice it was a build up of white ice. So i got this foam insulation from lowes and got the pipe covered but now a couple days later the AC just isnt working at all, the fan comes on and theres air comming from the vents but its not cold, i pulled the insulation back a little and the line is warm to the touch so its not freezing anymore.

i dont know anything about AC, anyone have an idea of what might be wrong? and is it something i could fix myself?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm far from intelligent about home ac units and barely manage to handle auto ac units....but the basics are the same....only a few things that should cause it too freeze up-too much refrigerant, too little refrigerant and maybe an incorrectly sized evaporator. I'd think it was probably leaking, then with low refrigerant it froze up, and now that the refrigerant has gotten lower the low pressure cut off switch is keeping it from cycling on.....but I have no idea what those parts look like on a home unit, how much they cost, what kind of pressure you should be looking for, or if the fittings for a gauge or manifold are the same as cars or not....that all I've got...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Is the suction line(bigger copper,probably about 3/4") still getting cold or not?It's the one that froze up earlier. Is the compressor running after the fan starts.If it gradually quit cooling,you've probably got a freon leak.Eventually,the low pressure safety won't let the compressor kick in at all.Turn it on,ensure the compressor is running and feel the suction line periodically.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the suction line(bigger copper,probably about 3/4") still getting cold or not?It's the one that froze up earlier. Is the compressor running after the fan starts.If it gradually quit cooling,you've probably got a freon leak.Eventually,the low pressure safety won't let the compressor kick in at all.Turn it on,ensure the compressor is running and feel the suction line periodically.
yeah the line that was freezing up is warm now

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You've probably lost charge.Is the compressor running? Does it try to start?
is the compressor the oustside AC unit? last time i checked the fan on the outside AC unit was running when i turned it on

sorry i dont know anything about AC systems

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The compressor sits in the middle of the coil on the outside unit,right below the fan. You can hear it kick in.and feel the vibration.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, is it suposed to kick in right when you turn on the AC?

if so ill have to wait till the morning when the gf is awake to find out

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yeah.
You probably have either a slow leak or it's stuck in defrost.You need to get a set of gauges and check pressures.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i think i found the problem, theres this thing that the smaller line goes into on the outside AC unit, it has a schrader valve on top of it and a bolt in the end, when i turn the AC on there is a leak comming from between the bolt and that part that it bolts into.

so if i fixed that could i recharge the AC myself or is it like an automotive AC system where you have to put it under a vacuum first?

·
Now she wants half of my
524 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak. If you don't know anything or much about A/C you should call a tech. He will have a proper vacuum pump, liquid line and suction line filter/dryers, will know the correct solder and temperture to braze and the proper gauges not to mention the R-22 you'll need.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
:stupid Werd. Something like that, you don't want to try doing yourself unless you do that as a profession. Too many things can go wrong, and cost you a lot more if you do mess it up.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
so if i fixed that could i recharge the AC myself or is it like an automotive AC system where you have to put it under a vacuum first?
If it's still got pressure,the system shouldn't need to be evacuated,but you're never going to get the the freon charge right without gauges.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i figured out what it was, the thing in the pic was leaking, under the big cap on the end (not the one on top with the schrader valve in it) there was a threaded plug, i turned the AC on and use an alan wrench to loosen it then tighten it back up and i got it to stop leaking, but im sure that its going to need recharged now, but at least a recharge is cheaper than if i called someone to fix that leak and charge me out the @ss for something i did for free

1 - 16 of 16 Posts