Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That block on the rear where the axle vent tube is connected to, any need for replacement? Is there a check valve in there? Or is it open ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
No, there's no check valve in there. How do you "service" a vent tube? The block part is actually part of the brake hose. It's the junction where the two hard lines on the axle connect. The nipple for the vent goes through a hole in the junction block and threads into the axle tube, thus securing the junction block.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, lol my bad meant to say axle vent instead of axel vent tube, so the most I would need to do is check to make sure it's clear and maybe replace the hose

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Thanks, lol my bad meant to say axle vent instead of axel vent tube, so the most I would need to do is check to make sure it's clear and maybe replace the hose
I'd take the opportunity and extend it up to the engine bay or gas filler. For deep fording. If you ever go in the mud they can easily clog and will blow out the axle or pinion seal which will then leak tons of fluid. I saw a 99 f150 that had been mudded alot with stock vents and the axle tube clogged, blew the pinion seal and it puked tons of fluid.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I always extend the vent hose as high as possible for fording. I also add a small engine fuel filter to teh top end so that no debris can get in there. You can pick one up at Home Depot or Lowes for garden equipment/chainsaws and such. Dry they flow enough air to vent the axle plenty well enough :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Vent cap? Lol mines open at the end looks like I need one
It looks like a white-ish plastic vacuum Y fitting or a black plastic interior trim push-clip (or that's what mine look like).

I'd personally extend it to the cab and put a clear plastic fuel filter on it just so I can see if it's puking fluid (which the D44 front can do if you're cruising at highway speed for a long time since the pinion slings fluid onto the inside wall of the diff and some of it makes it up the tube) but like Steve said, pretty much nothing big enough to be a problem should get in if it's got some sort of cap on it. Unless you're always driving in a cloud of silt dust I wouldn't worry (and if you are the axle is the least of your problems).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Removing the axle vent tube

Replacing brake lines are there any tricks to removing the axle vent tube? 1990 302 Bronco - pretty much stock

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No trick to it, and i worded it wrong, its a axel vent hose. To remove it just pull up on the hose, there is a nipple fitting in the axel tube that the vent hose slides onto

1 - 10 of 10 Posts