Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna change the fluid in my AOD tommorow because I now think it may be the reason for my "rear end problems" and I have a few questions since there really isnt a good write-up out there.

How much fluid do I need to add if I drain the pan?
How thick is the pan to install a drain plug? are there any good drain plugs I could install without welding?

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
advanced auto has a drain plug kit for like $2.

Make sure you TIGHTEN IT VERY TIGHT. I went to let a little atf out of my aod one day and the damn drain plug loosened up on me. I think you should use some Very strong lock tite on the threads of the drain plug. Not the actual drain plug that screws in, but the parts that connects it together.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
this is what the advanced auto kit kinda looks like. You just drill a 1/2" hole and you put the black screw on the outside of the pan, stick the washer and the silver looking nut inside the pan. Bolt that together than screw in your drain plug (brass color piece). Remember to use some strong lock tite on the part you bolt down to hold it in.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
my question to you is trans fluid change for a "rear end problem"?? wtf? :scratchhe

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
I think I used 2 gallons or less atf when I changed out mine.. i also have a big cooler and a remote filter.

$8 a gallon for advanced auto Mercon (suppose to be a copy of the valvoline)

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
and don't put the drain plug in the lowest part of the pan.. remember a drain plug is only there so you can lower the pan without dripping atf all over yourself.

Edit- I followed six's superford write up when I did mine. He covered it all. Except put your drain plug higher up.. since you wheel. you don't want that drain plug catching on a stump.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
this is what the advanced auto kit kinda looks like. You just drill a 1/2" hole and you put the black screw on the outside of the pan, stick the washer and the silver looking nut inside the pan. Bolt that together than screw in your drain plug (brass color piece). Remember to use some strong lock tite on the part you bolt down to hold it in.

That plastic washer don't look to trust-worthy, I'd replace it with a copper washer, and also I'd ditch the nut and get an all-metal locknut (that may need to be shaved down a bit to fit properly) - now tighten that good and all will be peachy for years to come. I've used copper washers on every vehicle I've done an oil change to.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
That plastic washer don't look to trust-worthy, I'd replace it with a copper washer, and also I'd ditch the nut and get an all-metal locknut (that may need to be shaved down a bit to fit properly) - now tighten that good and all will be peachy for years to come. I've used copper washers on every vehicle I've done an oil change to.
I purposely used the same drain bolt as the oil pan

Bigger bolt drains faster too

Sixlitre

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my question to you is trans fluid change for a "rear end problem"?? wtf? :scratchhe
I thought my rear was FUBAR but upon further inspection it is most likely my trans

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks N4R, thats everything I needed to know

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
i work at a trans shop, depending on if your just replacing the fluid that came out of the pan or if your flushing the trans. about 10qts to flush your system but 6qts will do you the quick way. we always use penzoil synthetic ATF for EVERYTHING!! even if it says otherwise. and remember that if theres metal chunks in the pan time for a rebuild or new trans

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
where is your trans shop at?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Just an FYI.....

The NAPA part number included in the link above (V 58949) didn't work for me here in Cali as they said it has been discontinued. The new part number they gave me was 19753 and it'll cost ya $16.99 + tax here in Cali. I just ordered it yesterday.:toothless
Thanks T&J

I bought one on October up here and it was only $12.00. In fact the one for the Town Car's was less than $10.00.

Now that the Canajian dollar is at par I'd say they ain't giving you the preferred rate !

Sixlitre

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an FYI.....

The NAPA part number included in the link above (V 58949) didn't work for me here in Cali as they said it has been discontinued. The new part number they gave me was 19753 and it'll cost ya $16.99 + tax here in Cali. I just ordered it yesterday.:toothless
mine was $9.16 at napa

1 - 20 of 20 Posts