Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've got this '84 Bronco. Bone stock for now but huge plans on the table. We also have a wrecked 2WD '93 F150 to yank the EFI 302 out of and put in the '84. The '93 also has an AOD(not electronic)that would need some major surgery in order to make it work behind my xfer case. The '84 already has a C6 in it. The Bronco will most likely be driven daily by my wife to and from work(about 10 miles one way) so I know the AOD would help out as far as gas mileage goes but I'm unclear on how well AODs hold up to offroad abuse. Opinions anyone?

Mike

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
If you need to rebuild both, I would go with the AOD. Especially if you have steep gears planned for the truck. Believe me, 4.56 gears, a C6 and 35" tires on the highway is not fun. How far away do you have to drive to go wheeling? AOD's can be built to handle 500hp easy, and there are low gear sets available so you can have a better crawl ratio in first. Make sure you get good clutches, as this is the major weak point of the AOD.

But then again, you aint going to break a C6 that easy, especially behind a small block.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts