Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
suggestions, which is easier/lighter. Will either of them work with my np205 transfer case? im swapping it in place of the c6.

Really want an OD automatic in my truck and dont want to lose the big block. I am worried about the aod holding up behind a healthy 460, and wondering if the extra cost of the adapters makes it no more worth doing then the e4od
i know the e40d requires a new crossmember, and a tcu (provided by either a pre powerstroke tcu or the Baumann controller)
If i could find the diesel controller i could prolly do the e40d pretty cost friendly but i have had no luck finding one.

thanks for any and all help you can provide,
i finally ordered some body parts for my truck, things are finally looking up

NA

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Id rather have the E4OD. The ones that would bolt to your BB are already built w/ HD parts whereas, the AOD only came in SB's. But if you had to rebuild one the AOD is definitely cheaper. TC will bolt to both I believe. The key is finding a decent BB E4OD. I dont think it will be easy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think the E4OD used with powerstrokes is built stronger than those put behind a 460. Not sure if they share the same bolt pattern though...

·
penis
3,318 Posts
I would go with the AOD no need to go electronic they are easier to repair and are IMHO more resilant to mods, The AODE can be tempermental if you you do not calibrate it for correct tires size and gearing. They both have there advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
205 is tight when coupled with an E4OD. Front CV joint hits the pan. It might be better to consider an E4OD and BW1356 swap. Since you already have to mod your driveshafts this would work fine.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Good luck trying to bolt an AOD to a big block. If you're willing to spend $800 for the required adapter to do so, you're also going to have to shell out the money to upgrade the AOD as well.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all good points and along my thinking, some things i didnt know for example,
you mention that the e4od and np205 is a tight squeeze, is the aod better. i miss my old BW transfer case on my newer broncos, but i know the np205 is the prefered one and more common, so i sill stick with it (EVEN IF MINE HATES GETTING OT OF 4LOW)....
800 dollars for the adapter, but a cheaper tranny overall, even when built, and not having to deal with electricity is sounding more and more like a winner,

anyone know what needs to be done to a 70's f-series to get an aod in there, i imagine it be easiest to go floor shift, the driveshafts changed, will the c6 crossmember work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts