Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes one? Is there something like a PermaDry Plus or just a decent rubber one available that I'm just not finding? I've tried cork and fiber, with and without RTV to no avail, and I'm finally getting tired of the drips on the driveway.

And yes, I use a torque wrench, cross pattern, etc.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Most all gaskets will seal up fine, even the cheap ones, so if you're having leak problems and you're sure its comming from the pan seal and not running down from somewhere above your problem is most likely a pan thats not flat. The bolts tend to dimple the rail in and leave gaps between the bolts which will cause a leak. If you take the pan off again make sure the rail is flat, and use a bal pein hammer to dimple the bolt holes down so the areas between the bolts will seal better. That way when you tighten the bolts down it willput it back to flat.
if you've been installing the pan with a foot lb torque wrench that may be what the problem is since you probably overtightend the bolts. They don't need to be very tight, maybe 1 to 2 ft lbs is all thats needed. What did you torque them to?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
What side of the pan?

i just battle a 3 year oil leaking pan and come to found out I didn't have the gromment installed on the fill tube. Are you 100% sure it's the pan gasket? If you check the top lip of the AOD body does it seem wet? Could it be your fill tube O ring or gromment

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
NM, I had a brain fart.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first thought was the o ring too, but everything above the pan gasket is dry. It seems to be seeping out along both sides of the pan, then running down the back.

Mike2, I'm going to try your idea of dimpling the bolt holes in, I've never liked the fact that Haynes says you have to use RTV to make up for the way the pan surface is shaped. I tightened them to whatever rating Haynes says (maybe 10 lb/ft).

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
I just did mine on 6/15 and I used a little Permatex on the pan to hold the rubber gasket in place to re-install but don't over tighten or you'll crush the gasket and it will leak, I have no problems with mine...make sure the bolt holes on the pan are even and flat so it won't tweek the gasket when you snug the bolts down....

www.supermotors.net/17406 ~ dtd 10/03/08 AOD transmission Service dipstick tube O ring ~ you may have to click on "my flip video library and scroll..

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts