Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have got to replace the transmission on my '87 Bronco, 302. I am going to buy a used transmission. I have read that the linkage in the earlier AOD's are different from the later models. How can I tell what to look for? Will an AOD transmission out of a 1989 2wheel dirve pick-up work

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I have got to replace the transmission on my '87 Bronco, 302. I am going to buy a used transmission. I have read that the linkage in the earlier AOD's are different from the later models.
86 and erlier EFI models used metal rods for linkage on the AOD with a cable for the T.V. (87-91 may be the same way)

Pre EFI models used a rod for the T.V.

You should be able to swap the T.V. and Gear selector arms from your AOD to any other AOD.

Will an AOD transmission out of a 1989 2wheel dirve pick-up work
Yes.....
If you remove the tail housing, disassemble the entire transmission so you can remove the 2-Wheel drive tail-shaft. Reassemble with your 4-Wheel drive tail shaft and transfer case adapter/tail housing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. My transmission shutter has got so bad I can't drive it very much. Probably start on it this week-end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts