Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a 1989 Bronco XLT, 302 with a really annoying AOD transmission. I have rebuild this tranny twice now and it has blew twice. So i gave up..

My question is, How hard will it be to put a C6 in replace of the AOD?

Will i need to get a C6 from another 4x4 or can i get one from a car?

Thanks!
D.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't know either, but I'd like to know as well. I have an 86 302 with the AOD that won't go in reverse and needs a rebuild. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort and money to swap in a C6 or rebuild the one I have.

Ed Q.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I can't help ya on the C6 part but I swapped in a reman from Ford...a little more expensive but kick ass warrenty! :shrug

·
Registered
268 Posts
C6 is shorter than the AOD. Must come out of a 4X4 because 2 wheel drive has a long tailshaft on trans that won't bolt to t-case. Being shorter, will have to adjust trans mount, t-case mount, and possibly driveshaft lengths. I replaced everything mentioned on my swap.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Hulk said:
C6 is shorter than the AOD. Must come out of a 4X4 because 2 wheel drive has a long tailshaft on trans that won't bolt to t-case. Being shorter, will have to adjust trans mount, t-case mount, and possibly driveshaft lengths. I replaced everything mentioned on my swap.
Personal experience here- a C6 is a direct swap for an AOD. Crossmember is fine, don't need to mess with the mounts. The C6 is approx 1" shorter overall so driveshafts may need to be lengthened/shortened. Shift linkages will need to be swapped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dustball said:
Personal experience here- a C6 is a direct swap for an AOD. Crossmember is fine, don't need to mess with the mounts. The C6 is approx 1" shorter overall so driveshafts may need to be lengthened/shortened. Shift linkages will need to be swapped.
Will the driveshaft slipjoints handle the 1" difference?

·
Registered
376 Posts
on another note. You would need to get a small block c-6 body if you are trying to bolt it up to a 302 iirc.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
darrellru said:
Will the driveshaft slipjoints handle the 1" difference?
It may, it may not. It depends on each vehicle, only way to tell is to bolt it up and see how much slip joint travel you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts