Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 Bronco, 302, AOD
My transmision has been slipping only in first gear but not everytime. When you give it gas and let off you can hear it spin and then it clunks when engages again. Does this sound like a torque converter problem or something more internal. The transmission was said to be recently rebiult according to the previous owner. It had a crack that was leaking fliud and i fixed it with a dremal and some jb weld. Then I changed the filter and fliud. The fluid looked a little dirty and the bottom of the pan had a thin film of gray on it, which i did not know if it was normal or not.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Yea its normal to have a light amount of gray on everything.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15418/56682 <--- pics of when I changed mine.

I would add a remote filter and a big transmission cooler to your transmission. Also make sure your tv cable is adjusted correctly.

go to the junkyard and find atleast a 11x7x1.5 thick stacked plate transmission cooler if you don't have one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, ill definately add the remote filter and the tranny cooler. I also had the idea of putting a c6 tranny in it because they are half the price to rebiuld. Its going to turn into just a desert toy later down the road so im not really worried about losing the overdrive. If there is a fix for the AOD without doing a overhaul I would be happy with that. Can the TV cable being out of adjustment cause it to slip? Im going to check the TV cable and take it for a drive.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My 88 was having the same symptoms. I finally discovered it was only doing it on steep uphill starts. I took it to a trusted transmission shop. Owner said it could be one of 3 things.

1. low on transmission fluid
2. wrong filter installed by quick oil change place
3. correct filter but the gasket left off by quick oil change place

He checked the fluid level and it was fine. He dropped the pan and said the filter was correct (4 wheel drive has a long pick up tube). He showed me the place where the gasket should be but was not. It was a small square gasket. He installed a gasket and the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They gave me the filter with the long pick up tube the first time, but the pan on my trans isnt made to fit that one. So I took it back and matched it with the one I took out witch said it was for a 2 wheel drive. Could the previous person put the wrong pan and filter on before when they rebiult it. Would this cause the problem im having?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did the problem start when you changed the filter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I changed the filter and fluid to see if that would fix things. I replaced the filter with the same one that was in it before. Im a little confused because the 2wd filter is the one that was in it before and I had to replace it with the same one because it wouldnt fit with the pan thats on it. The 4wd pan has room for the tube on the 4wd filter. I would think I should have the right pan considering its 4wd but I dont.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts