Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently done a full rebuild on the the 302 I have in the bronco. While the motor was out I decided to change the trans fluid and filter. Now it slips bad in the first gear and then after it slips a couple of times it shifts flawlessly. Now it only slips after its been sitting for a day or so. Its seems the more its driven the better it gets. I mean it slips at first then it shifts so smoothly. After about three shifts it gets pretty smooth and the more you drive it the better it gets. You can barely feel it when it shifts at its best. Its like it needs to get the fluid going in the gears and then its fine. I am thinking bad valve body seal. What do you guys think. Would a shift kit help because I can pick one up new on craigslist real cheap right now. Its made by B&M. The trans. did sit for about 2 to 3 years. Should I keep driving it and would it get better the more it gets driven? Is it because its been sitting for while? Here is the fluid I used. Could it be the fluid? http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37 Now we bought it not running so we don't know if it was slipping prior to it been sitting. Thanks for any help!
Ken

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
maybe a stuck ball in the valve body. maybe driving it it will fix it. this happens when tranny's sit idle and not being used. this is just my 2 cents

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It by the way has 140,000 miles on it. Just hate to hurt anything by having it slip. After it slips a few time its fine . Should I go ahead and pick up the transpak shift kit made by B&M. I can pick it up for $20 bucks new? Is that a good price? While I am in there I could probably flush out the gunk that would be making them get stuck. Is that possible?

·
Registered
93 Posts
i had the same problem. i drove it like that for like 2 years until i got around to having it rebuilt. it seemed to do it more so in the winter. so im guessing once it warmed up it was good..

id say if it bugs u that much then take it to a shop otherwise just run it until it does bugs u.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I want to change the tranny filter and fluid on mine too.
But mine shifts so nice and works well, I am afraid to mess with it.
mine has 135k on it. I was told don't change it now, since i don't know the history, that it may cause problems.
I am worried about NOT changing the filter and fluid, and also afraid it may start acting up when I do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok according to this video my tv cable was way to tight. I did exactly what he did and it helped a lot. It only slipped going into 2nd gear but it was a lot smoother than before. Just so there is no confusion you are at a complete stop and the next gear is what slipped. It felt a lot smoother and after a couple of times going up the driveway and back it got better. Here is the video I watched. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Changing the filter and fluid in your transmission can only help extended it's life especially if you don't know the history all the more reason, my AOD only costs $31.00 total for a filter kit and 6 qts of fluid every year vs a transmission shop costing anywhere from $150-200.00.

What you don't want to do is use any type of of transmission "flush" where it could send particulate through out causing problems.

I agree proper fluid level and TV cable adjustment are essential so always keep an eye on both otherwise it's off the the shop for rebuild and many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Take it for a good long run on the highway, set the cruise control at 60 and 1-2 hours will do wonders heating up plugs, oil, circulating coolant and build pressure up in the transmission however there's no substitute if "clutch material" is going or gone.....then it's rebuild time.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
116 Posts
Changing the filter and fluid in your transmission can only help extended it's life especially if you don't know the history all the more reason, my AOD only costs $31.00 total for a filter kit and 6 qts of fluid every year vs a transmission shop costing anywhere from $150-200.00.

What you don't want to do is use any type of of transmission "flush" where it could send particulate through out causing problems.

I agree proper fluid level and TV cable adjustment are essential so always keep an eye on both otherwise it's off the the shop for rebuild and many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Take it for a good long run on the highway, set the cruise control at 60 and 1-2 hours will do wonders heating up plugs, oil, circulating coolant and build pressure up in the transmission however there's no substitute if "clutch material" is going or gone.....then it's rebuild time.

Maybe I should change mine then. I was worried from hearing rumors about doing it. I don't know what a TV cable is. Is that like a kick down cable?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Maybe I should change mine then. I was worried from hearing rumors about doing it. I don't know what a TV cable is. Is that like a kick down cable?
No, the Throttle Valve in an AOD not only controls the shift points but also the line pressure to the clutches and bands.

Driving an AOD without the T.V. cable attached will burn up an AOD in just a few miles.

Driving with an under adjusted T.V. will burn it up within a few thousand miles.

The correct minimum setting for an AOD TV in something as heavy as a Bronco is the TV lever must start moving the moment the throttle plate (Throttle body linkage) begins to move. This is the minimum! The video posted above should produce that result, but check it to be sure. This will produce a nice mushy luxury car shift.

The correct maximum setting is to have the T.V. lever pulled to maximum at WOT, but not preventing the Throttle body from opening fully. This will produce a very snappy shift that may be to harsh for most folks.

The correct setting for You should be somewhere in between those two points. Adjust to taste

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, the Throttle Valve in an AOD not only controls the shift points but also the line pressure to the clutches and bands.

Driving an AOD without the T.V. cable attached will burn up an AOD in just a few miles.

Driving with an under adjusted T.V. will burn it up within a few thousand miles.

The correct minimum setting for an AOD TV in something as heavy as a Bronco is the TV lever must start moving the moment the throttle plate (Throttle body linkage) begins to move. This is the minimum! The video posted above should produce that result, but check it to be sure. This will produce a nice mushy luxury car shift.

The correct maximum setting is to have the T.V. lever pulled to maximum at WOT, but not preventing the Throttle body from opening fully. This will produce a very snappy shift that may be to harsh for most folks.

The correct setting for You should be somewhere in between those two points. Adjust to taste
I will check mine. Mine shifts very smooth, no problems. Seems to go through the gears quicker than I would like, and into OD kind of early. But that may be my imagination. I am new to the truck still. But she does shift smoothly.
But I better check mine to make sure. I know on the old gm's I had. I used to adjust the kickdown by pushing a button, and holding it to WOT. I guess every truck is different.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh wow. I just watched the video. Seems easy, lift black clip, take out slack, or tension, and relock the black clip. Good Video!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I don't think continuing to drive the Bronco is a good idea least you create more problems shifting etc..you need to resolve it before you wind up having to rebuild the transmission for big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

AAMCO used to give FREE diganosis and maybe they can norrow it down....IDK..?

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I've never had any success using starter fluid, carb cleaner or even propane gas checking for vaccum leaks, why not just use a vacuum gauge and avoid the risk of fire....

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can promise you that if you change the fluid on a high mileage auto tranny that hasn't had the fluid serviced before about 50% will begin to slip. It happened to my E4OD and do a search on the others. If you are not sure if the tranny has been serviced and it has over 100,000 dont change the fluid because the metal flakes in the fluid is whats giving you clutches friction to pull. My bronco drove fine when I got it no slip no shifting problems but I changed the fluid and it instantly started slipping.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts