Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Aod trans. slips at first then shifts fine.

22K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  TheUnforgiven 
#1 ·
I have recently done a full rebuild on the the 302 I have in the bronco. While the motor was out I decided to change the trans fluid and filter. Now it slips bad in the first gear and then after it slips a couple of times it shifts flawlessly. Now it only slips after its been sitting for a day or so. Its seems the more its driven the better it gets. I mean it slips at first then it shifts so smoothly. After about three shifts it gets pretty smooth and the more you drive it the better it gets. You can barely feel it when it shifts at its best. Its like it needs to get the fluid going in the gears and then its fine. I am thinking bad valve body seal. What do you guys think. Would a shift kit help because I can pick one up new on craigslist real cheap right now. Its made by B&M. The trans. did sit for about 2 to 3 years. Should I keep driving it and would it get better the more it gets driven? Is it because its been sitting for while? Here is the fluid I used. Could it be the fluid? http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37 Now we bought it not running so we don't know if it was slipping prior to it been sitting. Thanks for any help!
Ken

#3 ·
It by the way has 140,000 miles on it. Just hate to hurt anything by having it slip. After it slips a few time its fine . Should I go ahead and pick up the transpak shift kit made by B&M. I can pick it up for $20 bucks new? Is that a good price? While I am in there I could probably flush out the gunk that would be making them get stuck. Is that possible?

#4 ·
i had the same problem. i drove it like that for like 2 years until i got around to having it rebuilt. it seemed to do it more so in the winter. so im guessing once it warmed up it was good..

id say if it bugs u that much then take it to a shop otherwise just run it until it does bugs u.

#6 ·
I want to change the tranny filter and fluid on mine too.
But mine shifts so nice and works well, I am afraid to mess with it.
mine has 135k on it. I was told don't change it now, since i don't know the history, that it may cause problems.
I am worried about NOT changing the filter and fluid, and also afraid it may start acting up when I do.

#7 ·
Ok according to this video my tv cable was way to tight. I did exactly what he did and it helped a lot. It only slipped going into 2nd gear but it was a lot smoother than before. Just so there is no confusion you are at a complete stop and the next gear is what slipped. It felt a lot smoother and after a couple of times going up the driveway and back it got better. Here is the video I watched. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

#10 ·
Changing the filter and fluid in your transmission can only help extended it's life especially if you don't know the history all the more reason, my AOD only costs $31.00 total for a filter kit and 6 qts of fluid every year vs a transmission shop costing anywhere from $150-200.00.

What you don't want to do is use any type of of transmission "flush" where it could send particulate through out causing problems.

I agree proper fluid level and TV cable adjustment are essential so always keep an eye on both otherwise it's off the the shop for rebuild and many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Take it for a good long run on the highway, set the cruise control at 60 and 1-2 hours will do wonders heating up plugs, oil, circulating coolant and build pressure up in the transmission however there's no substitute if "clutch material" is going or gone.....then it's rebuild time.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

#18 ·
I don't think continuing to drive the Bronco is a good idea least you create more problems shifting etc..you need to resolve it before you wind up having to rebuild the transmission for big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

AAMCO used to give FREE diganosis and maybe they can norrow it down....IDK..?

#20 ·
I can promise you that if you change the fluid on a high mileage auto tranny that hasn't had the fluid serviced before about 50% will begin to slip. It happened to my E4OD and do a search on the others. If you are not sure if the tranny has been serviced and it has over 100,000 dont change the fluid because the metal flakes in the fluid is whats giving you clutches friction to pull. My bronco drove fine when I got it no slip no shifting problems but I changed the fluid and it instantly started slipping.

#22 ·
When I first bought my BKO in 2003 shortly after it started leaking from the front seal and got worse but it lasted a year that way with me dumping in quarts of fluid every week ...lol lol...not to mention the mess everywhere under the BKO and driveway...PITA....and finally on my way to the auto store one day it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear but I managed to drive it back home.....slooooooowly..lol lol :rofl:

With high mileage transmissions unfortunately the inevitable will catch up and the transmission will take a dump when you're driving and then it's tow truck time/cost and cost to rebuild. My AOD cost $1,300.00 back in 2004 by a guy from Trap Club who did an excellent job and I service it every year with a filter kit and 6qts. fluid and it runs like a swiss watch, if I have 15-20k miles on it I'd be surprised because my DD is only around 176 miles per month now so rather then continue waiting for inevitable start planning by setting $$$$ aside and decide when you're going to rebuild and be done.

It's going to happen!

#23 ·
As for using "starting fluid" for tracking vaccum leaks......:shrug...I've never had much success and using carb cleaner or even propane gas....why not use a vaccum gauge which is probably more accuate and much safer rather risk a possible fire using highly flamable substances, no? :doh0715:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.