Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the MPG threads got me to start trying a different approach when driving. Since my FSB seems to shift too early into OD, I been louping around town in D to keep my revs up and vacuum high, while traveling around 45-55mph.

Do anybody else does the same with your auto tranny?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
the MPG threads got me to start trying a different approach when driving. Since my FSB seems to shift too early into OD, I been louping around town in D to keep my revs up and vacuum high, while traveling around 45-55mph.

Do anybody else does the same with your auto tranny?

i pretty much never put any auto trans in OD unless i'm on the freeway.

IMO they just keep shifting in and out of overdrive, torque converter unlocking and locking (if they have a lock up), the engine lugs too much, etc. better mileage and way better trans life if you keep it out of overdrive around town.

an exception would be if you had extremely low axle gear ratios.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i pretty much never put any auto trans in OD unless i'm on the freeway.

IMO they just keep shifting in and out of overdrive, torque converter unlocking and locking (if they have a lock up), the engine lugs too much, etc. better mileage and way better trans life if you keep it out of overdrive around town.

an exception would be if you had extremely low axle gear ratios.
Will the AOD doesn't come by default with a locking torque converter, but uses the dual input shafts for 3/4 shifts. Since I've been modifying my driving habits, I've been able to increase my inner-city mpg by 1.2mpg from a 14.3mpg to 15.5mpg, but yet my revs are much high when driving around in the city ( right about 2k). I also have plenty of torque to get out of the hole and to get movin if I need it.

I'm going to wait for another 2 tanks fillup before I finalize my mpg improvement.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Will the AOD doesn't come by default with a locking torque converter, but uses the dual input shafts for 3/4 shifts. Since I've been modifying my driving habits, I've been able to increase my inner-city mpg by 1.2mpg from a 14.3mpg to 15.5mpg, but yet my revs are much high when driving around in the city ( right about 2k). I also have plenty of torque to get out of the hole and to get movin if I need it.

I'm going to wait for another 2 tanks fillup before I finalize my mpg improvement.

you're engines peak efficiency is probably around 2,000rpm.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'm with rhauf, I only put it on OD when I'm going to get over 50 mph. I can't even trick it into shifting (letting off the gas for a second) to OD until 45 mph anyway. I don't experience any difference between D and OD settings at lower speeds...

·
Super Moderator
26,353 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Once I installed the Transgo Tugger Shift Kit in mine, the TC doesn't engage as soon and holds better afterwards as well. Not to mention the better shifting.

Pap

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I'm with rhauf, I only put it on OD when I'm going to get over 50 mph.
Unless I am in Downtown, or in a residential subdivision, the speed limits are all 55mph or better.

I leave my AOD in overdrive unless I am in one of the following conditions.

1. Traveling an extended distance at that speed (40-50mph) where it shifts into 4rth every time you let off the gas, and then back to 3rd when you touch the gas.

2. Going up a hill that causes it to shift out of 4rth, speed up just a little and then shift back to 4rth.

3. Playing, and don't want 4rth.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
I always kept mine in D after the overdrive gear failed. I would drive back and forth to Florida from NC and I got the same mileage, even though the truck was running 1000 RPM higher, at 3000 rpm. The 302 likes to rev, and it's much better to rev it higher than to lug the engine at low RPM.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Unless I am in Downtown, or in a residential subdivision, the speed limits are all 55mph or better.
So that would be a situation I'd spend most of my time in OD as well. 90% of the time (until I do a major overhaul) I don't leave the city limits and have a top speed of 35 mph.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for those pages. I never seen the user manual for our trucks or anything with a regards to the AOD. kinda interesting on how the auto tranny works. I'm going to keep driving around with D ( overdrive lockout ) and try to rack some mileages up and see what happens with my mileage.

I know right off the lockout gives me more torque for city driving, by keeping me out of OD.

·
Super Moderator
26,353 Posts
yw. but thank JEM when you see him here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts