Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchessed a 87 bronco with a AOD trans . I was just wandering if ther is anything i can do to make it as strong as my C6 i have in my 89. i allready did the search and didn't find much on this topic. help would be apprecated. thanks JAY..:crazy :usa

·
Registered
64 Posts
There's plenty you can do, and yes you can make it as strong as a C6. Check the aftermarket Like Baumann Engineering, art carr, Jet. You can do it yourself if you comfortable with it (cheaper), or you can buy it or pay someone else to do it - $$.
All of the weaknesses of the original AOD have been addressed by the aftermarket industry, I've built a number of them that are behind 500+hp bigblocks. If you're just looking to be stout enough behind a stock or mildly modified setup there are a few thing you can do, but to be honest I wouldn't do anything until it breaks (assuming it's in good shape now). A shift kit is a good first step. The typical things I replace in building one up for a customer in a high power application are:
1: Input shaft/Converter - the original is a two-piece shaft, stronger one is one piece. But you have to run a different converter to run the one piece, due to the overdrive design.
2: More clutches in the packs.
3: Overdrive drum and band
4: rear shaft oiling improved

That being said, I recently installed a stock AOD out of an '87 302 Bronco into my '88 370hp 351w. A tranny brought into my shop, the guy said "get rid of this POS for me, I want a C6!!" All I did want put new fluid/filter in, along with a shift kit and it runs like a champ.
Sorry, kinda rambled on, but the answer is YES you can.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts